Batch Script Help - Parsing Data to Variable
Hey guys,

I have a batch script that currently works to pull the name of a folder on a system that meets criteria, as follows:
@echo off
SET DIR=---

FOR /D %%d IN ("C:\BEW-*") DO (
  SET DIR=%%d
)

IF EXIST "%DIR%" (GOTO WINDIR) ELSE (GOTO NOWINDIR)

:WINDIR
  ECHO Yes
  ECHO %DIR%
  GOTO END

:NOWINDIR
  ECHO No

:END
What I am trying to do is get the %DIR% to ONLY be the name of the directory and not the full path of C:\<DIRECTORY>. I am rusty as hell with batch file logic but have to use it due to a load of ancient servers I will be running this against. Can anyone point me in the right direc
June 18th, 2015 2:36pm

Do you mean:

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2015 3:10pm

No dice, using %%~nxd (or %%~nxD) ends up giving me a "no" response which tells me the %DIR% variable isn't being populated with anything. How would I go about testing that mask change? Is there somewhere online I can read through the different options? By mask change I mean the "%%~nxd" bit. I'm not sure what it'd be called
June 18th, 2015 4:28pm

Sorry, then I don't understand your question. %%~nxV returns the name and extension of the referenced file (or directory name). See for /f for more information.

It would be helpful if you would describe what your script is actually supposed to accomplish.

June 18th, 2015 4:35pm

I ended up sorting it out using the FOR /F help info and reading further on variable manipulation. All I had to do was change the line ECHO %DIR% to ECHO %DIR:~3% and it would trim the first 3 characters form the variable %DIR% which, in this case, was the C:\. Thanks for your help
June 18th, 2015 5:07pm

Your original statement said that you wanted only the directory name. You are wanting the full directory name without the drive letter. Two differe
June 18th, 2015 5:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics