Basic server virtualization question
Hello, 

i am pretty new to this virtualization topic. 

would you be able to tell me if I was planning to virtualize several server types e.g. DNS, DHCP, application, TFTP, exchange, domain controller, etc. onto one main server (1) and have a backup server (2) with exactly the same set up. in case one of the virtualized servers should go down on main server (1), would it be possible for the failed server application that went down to be booted or start up on server (2)?

in other words, all backup servers on server (2) remain dormant until a specific one is needed.

Is it possible?

By the way, everything will be running in a windows environment. 
If there are any applications maybe VM that would support it, would you mind sharing your thoughts? 

P.S. I am aware that some servers shouldn't be sitting on the same physical server due to co-dependencies. 

Thank you
October 6th, 2013 5:11am

Yes. you can use DNS DHCP Exchange and other applications like IIS and SQL in virtual using Microsoft Hyper-V

I have setup total 8 server in hyper-v (Domain ,Exchange ,IIS ,SQL ,TMG and Other3) and its working very well.Please let me know what is you plan of acation to install server 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2013 8:15am

Thanks. I won't be installing those servers. This is just for informative purpose only. 

Another question that is open though is, if for example one of the virtualized servers such as SQL on the primary server should fail, would it automatically startup on the backup server? How long would it usually take for it to kick in?

October 6th, 2013 9:40am

server not get start automatically. If you want to setup in such thing you have to configure cluster service. If cluster is installed then if one server goes offline entire traffic redirect to another node in cluster. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 6th, 2013 9:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics