Bad network performance with Hyper-V but good to copy file through SMB3

Hello everybody,

I came here because I have strange network performance.

I have two windows server 2012 R2, one with hyper-v, the other one for storage which hold a storage space with tiering.

The hyper-v server has two NIC in team connected to a switch and the storage server is connected to the same switch with two NIC (no team).

As you can see above, performance of tiering storage space from the storage server himself.

Here the performance from the hyper-v to the same tiering storage space connected with a network drive. Performances are really close inside a VM which has is VHDX on the storage server, connected with SMB3 too.

Betters performance are 64MB/s, but when I copie a file to the same network drive, the average speed is 90MB/s as you can see below.

Do you have an idea about the source of the problem and how to solve it ?

Thanks by advance !

July 22nd, 2015 6:42pm

This is never ending story. You should consider other components of servers and their configuration, as well as network devices. HDD cluster size and HDD configuration (RAID 1 vs RAID 5) play the role. Use performance tools to find bottlenecks.

Regards

Milos

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2015 7:22pm

We do not have enough information about your setup to answer your question. One thing to keep in mind. A file copy is not a good representation and does not show the full bandwidth. You have to use a network benchmark tool without disk usage. Use a tool like PERF on the source and destination server. When running IPERF use multiple sessions simultaneousely to get full bandwidth. Other factors that play a role are; 1 or 10GbE, NIC Teaming mode, VMQ (Virtual Machine Qeueuing), ODX (Offload Data Transfer) and etc.
July 23rd, 2015 8:58am

Each server have two NIC 1GbE, there is a team on hyper-v server (LCAP and dynamic load balancing) but no team on storage server.

Iperf give 720Mb/s from hyper-v to storage NIC1, and same for hyper-v to storage NIC2.

VMQ are disabled on hyper-v NIC Team. There is no ODX, the network share is on a local tiering storage

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2015 11:24am

Hi Benjamin RIOUAL

Please try to use the fixed virtual disk then test it again, if you copy the data in the same volume, the disk performance will effected, because the disk need read and write "same time".

Best Regards.

July 27th, 2015 1:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics