Backup of windows 2012 Child Hyperv Server as saved state instead of Snapshot

I have a windows 2012 DPM server runing DPM 2012, with rollup patch applied.  Im backing up several child servers ruuning on a windows 2008 R2 Hyperv server.  All the windows 2008 child servers backup fine using snapshot, however the 2012 server running as a child does a saved state backup, it does not have any dynmic disks.

Any ideas why?

November 8th, 2012 10:21am

Hi,

First, SCS DPM 2012 does not support being installed on a Windows server 2012 or protecting Server 2012 until after SCS 2012 Sp1 ships later this year.

System Center DPM 2012 is not supported running on Windows Server 2012 until we release System Center SP1 later this year.  We have had reports of DPM 2012 console crashes when navigating to the recovery tab if DPM 2012 is installed on Windows server 2012.  This issue is fixed in SP1.

If you are already in this condition,  I recommend you backup the DPMDB, rebuild the DPM server using Windows 2008 R2 install DPM 2012, then restore your current database. The process is explained in the below technet article.

Recovering DPM servers
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244606.aspx

We also do not support protecting Windows Server 2012 using SCS DPM 2012 until after SC SP1 is released.   Please do not expect any support for DPM 2012 running on Windows Server 2012, or issues while protecting data sources in Windows Server 2012.

However, with that said here are the general conditions that make a VM go into a saved state during backup.

Protecting Hyper-V machines
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx

Conditions when DPM fails to back up Hyper-V virtual machines in an online state

By default, System Center 2012  Data Protection Manager (DPM) performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.
  • The virtual machine has one or more dynamic disks.
  • The virtual machine has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.
  • The virtual machine Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.
  • The virtual machine is not in a running state.
  • A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the virtual machine is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.
  • An App-V drive is installed on the virtual machine that creates a non-NTFS volume.

These conditions are set by the Hyper-V writer. In such a case, the VM is put in a saved state before a snapshot of host volumes are taken (except when the VM is turned off) for a backup. The Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

• For offline backups: Backup Using Saved State\<VMName>
  • For online backups: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\<VMName>

Additional reason if we have less than 300MB free space on a volume in the

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2012 10:36pm

Many Thanks for your answer,

Do we have a date for SP1 yet, I know this is currently in beta.  Im tempted to struggle on with the issue till this ships as I can work around it, however none of the above conditions apply so not sure why its doing a saved state backup however as its not support I dont expect it to be looked at.

Thanks

November 12th, 2012 9:30am

Looks like SP1 was just released (at least through technet).  With that said, I'm still having trouble backing up a 2012 virtual using DPM 2012 SP1.  It still is trying to do the snapshot...any ideas?
December 21st, 2012 7:02pm

Hi,

The Hyper-V writer on the hyper-V host communicates with the integration components inside the guest and determines if child partition or saved state backup will be performed.

To get a real-time view of how then next backup will be perfomed, you can run the following test.

To list hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or saved state backups can be done:

From an administrative command prompt:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
b. Type: list writers and press enter
c. Press CTRL + Z (to save)
d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: backup using"

Output will be displayed for each guest.

Since the problem is outside of DPM, I recommend you start a new post in the Windows Clustering forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

December 21st, 2012 11:32pm

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that Microsoft would RTM an operating system that is not supported on it's own backup product. If you can't properly protect it than it shouldn't be released yet.

January 20th, 2013 3:39pm

See this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/b687fa93-4de7-4c88-af69-06bb6bf494be

Tks.

January 24th, 2013 6:59pm

Thanks.  This pointed me in the right direction.  Once I realized it was an integration issue between the host and virtual, I finally had a chance to upgrade the host.  Now that I'm running 2012 on the host, I'm able to do all the proper backup methods (including 2008 R2 virtuals).
February 17th, 2013 11:14pm

UPDATE 3-13-13
+++++++++++

We have had several customers confirm that adding the below registry key and value inside the Windows 2012 guest resolved the behavior.

You need to add a key called SystemRestore, then a value under it called ScopeSnapshots as follows.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
REG_DWORD:ScopeSnapshots:0x0

March 14th, 2013 12:21am

UPDATE 3-13-13
+++++++++++

We have had several customers confirm that adding the below registry key and value inside the Windows 2012 guest resolved the behavior.

You need to add a key called SystemRestore, then a value under it called ScopeSnapshots as follows.

REG_DWORD:ScopeSnapshots

April 11th, 2013 4:47pm

Hi,

No reboot is necessary.

April 11th, 2013 5:00pm

Thanks!  I'll report back after backups tonight.
April 11th, 2013 5:01pm

The registry fix does indeed solve the problem.
April 12th, 2013 2:05pm

hi All,

I have faced the same and tried your solution, which is not working for me.

December 5th, 2013 12:12pm

Hi all,

We also experienced the "backup using saved state" issue on our 2012 VM's on a 3 node 2008 R2 cluster with one of our clients during their weekly Hyper V backup.

We implemented the registry key as mentioned by "Michael Steward" to all 2012 VM's. This seems to have solved that issue so far...But since then we are facing a new problem.

Our SCOM monitoring on these 3 Hyper V nodes now generate the following alert during Hyper V VM backup:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{ae6fb366-5873-11e3-86dc-e83935e9104a}

We did some additional research on this GUID. It is not from any of the CSV's or any other disk.

We did find the GUID in the registry under HKLM\System\ControlSet001\services\VSS\Diag\VolSnap

Did anyone see the same error before? Is it related to the registry key ?

please let me know your thoughts.

December 12th, 2013 1:49pm

Hello,

We have the same issue here with DPM 2012 R2.

Tried to apply the regkey mentioned above for WS2012R1 VMs as well as WS2008R2SP1 that has the state offline in DPM under "Hyper_V Option"

All have latest Integration Components.

In the cluster all other VMs does backup in online state, no matter what Server OS.

We have a fair mix of WS2012R2/Ws2012R1/WS208R2SP1/WS2008R1SP1 and even 2 WS2003.

All of those DPM does backup in online state.

When checking WS Backup in one of the Hosts who owns a problematic VM by adding a custom job

and adding Hyper-V it sure enough is in offline state within there also.

Any clues?

December 18th, 2013 3:20pm

Hi,

I moved this thread to the Windows Hyper-V forum who can help troubleshoot your issue.

December 18th, 2013 3:25pm

hi All,

I have faced the same and tried your solution, which is not working for me.

June 5th, 2015 1:53am

To create an "online" backup the VM needs to have an SCSI Controller. The SCSI Controller does not have to contain a VHD file, as long as an SCSI Controller is present.

If your VM does not have an SCSI Controller, only a IDE Controller, then it will always be an "offline" backup which puts your VM in a saved state.

NOTE: If your VMs don't have an SCSI Controller, you can add one, but you may need to re-add the VM to you backup Protection Group in DPM. See the following link for more information:

DPM 2012 R2, Windows 2012 R2, and "stop" VM during backup
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/96f393b6-756d-46e7-b7a4-152c5c12b403/dpm-2012-r2-windows-2012-r2-and-stop-vm-during-backup?forum=winserverhyperv

June 5th, 2015 1:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics