Backup - Access Denied - Permission problem I can't fix!

Hi,

Another noddy question from me.

I'm trying to create a backup of my database, but getting the error 5 (access denied) message. (even in the default backup folder)

I know, from reading other posts it's a permission problem, but I can't fix it.

I'm using Windows 7 laptop (home premium - so can't setup user groups) running SSMS to connect to SQL Server 2011 Express on a Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm having to log on to SSMS using SQL Server Authentication (as a DB admin), as I can't get a user account on the laptop which WHS recognises.

I can create databases without problems, so not sure what's wrong.

What do I need to change to give the correct permissions to run a backup (both in the default folder and any other named folder)?

Thanks,

January 12th, 2014 2:21pm

Hi,

The account that's running the SQL Server services needs permissions on the backup directory.  You can get the name of the account from services.msc or the SQL Server configuration manager.

UAC might be an issue too.  Try temporarily turning it off to see if that works...

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2014 2:36pm

One more point.After you find out your SQL server service account move to folder where you are trying to take backup. RK on folder and  in security tab specifically add your account and give it read/write permission.
January 13th, 2014 1:15am

Hello Chris,

As we know this is permission related issue, better way to narrow down the issue would be to take a process monitor trace when you take the backup: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Once the data is captured, filter for "ACCESS DENIED" and you should be able to track it down easily. Also has already been suggested, make sure that SQL Service account has access to the Default backup location.

Regards,

Don [MSFT]

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 3:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics