BSOD on Windows Server Enterprise on every boot
I installed VMWare Workstation v7 on my server, started using it, and everything went fine. A few days later, I did a reboot and since then, I can't load the OS without getting a BSOD. I can start it up in safe mode, but when I tried to uninstall VMWare, I got an error for a missing msi file. Since Server 2008 has no system restore utility like most other Windows OS's, I can't go that route either. Anyone have any ideas? The error code for the BSOD is below. 0x0000007F (0x0000000B 0x8013B000 0x00000000 0x00000000)
October 26th, 2010 3:45pm

7F - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559244%28v=VS.85%29.aspx Specifically, a piece of code was attempting to access memory that was not present. If you can determine which driver is crashing from a memory dump, then you should be able to disable the driver through the registry. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 5:24pm

Make hints the point. Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails. The first parameter of the error is 0x0000000Bwhich means an access to a memory segment that was not present. As you can boot in Safe Mode, it seems the problem is caused by a driver or third party program. Regarding this situation, I recommend you to boot in Clean Boot and Device Clean Boot to identify the cause. Note: the KB is for Windows 7, but the steps are applied to Windows Server too. How to perform a Device Clean Boot =================== 1) Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. 2) Expand "Sound, video and game controllers". 3) Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties" 4) Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK 5) Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled. 6) Please restart the computer. However, if the issue persists, I kindly recommend you to collect the dump file and contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. They may debug the dump and analysis the source file to troubleshoot the problem. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 27th, 2010 2:26am

I did a clean boot and a device clean boot and the second seemed to do the trick. However, I'm still not sure which driver caused the error. My guess is it's one of the many network interface drivers vmware installs. Is there a tool I can use to analyze the memory.dmp file?
October 29th, 2010 11:31am

During Device Clean Boot, which driver wasn’t disabled while the issue occurred. You could enable the driver one by one to identify the cause. As a work around, please update all hardware device drivers to the latest versions. BTW, to analyze the memory dump file, please refer to the following KB: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging How to use Dumpchk.exe to check a Memory Dump file Meanwhile, you could use the tool Debug for Windows to help analysis as well. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 31st, 2010 11:17pm

If you are working with small memory dumps, please feel free to upload them to skydrive and post a link to this thread, I can take a look at them for you with windbg, http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2010/08/skydrive-uploading-files-for-community.html-- Mike Burr
November 2nd, 2010 7:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics