BSOD errors on Windows Server Enterprise 2008 EE R2
Hi,I have a desktop (Intel DP55WB MOBO and i5 750 CPU) and I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 on it. I am getting BSOD errors every 3-5 days. I have accumulated 10 minidump files for those crashes and even installed Windows Debugger but I realized I can't really troubleshoot it. I am trying to determine what it might be - I have updated MOBO BIOS twice and uninstalled video driver (which came with the card). Currently using the out of the box Windows Server Display driver. But it didn't help so far - I just had another crash. I see a lot of experts on this forum. Since Windows Server 08 R2 shares the code based with Windows 7 I would appreciate if somebody can take a look at the files below and point me to the right direction. Here is the link to my minidump files http://cid-583c52f70e5e6b95.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/IntelCons%20Minidump Thanks in advance Vadim
April 1st, 2010 7:05am

Does the BS comes out randomly or when u do certain things? You might want to do some hardware check. Run the memory tester. Also try to disable all third party program.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2010 10:50am

It occurs randomly - I didn't find any links with the running applications. Sometimes it has happend in the middle of the file copy, sometimes it has happend during idle execution. I do not run any third party programs - the only thing I use is Hyper-V and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver - I have a RAID-5 array built in on the desktop. I have just downloaded the latest drivers for those. Like I have mentioned I have uninstalled the video driver (I have GV-R4350C-512I video card). What kind of memory test utility would you recommend? Is there anything that can be concluded from the memory dumps? I wasn't able to find anything from them other than the fact that it is trying to reference invalid location in memory. Thanks for your help
April 2nd, 2010 12:18am

I have see your dump file you have several diffrent type of blue screen. As you have many blue screen related to RAM, you need to check your RAM. Use memtest to test it. If this is a new installation it can be hardware problem as those blue screen are random and diffrent. Most of blue screen is cause by ntoskrnl.exe I do not see blue screen cause by third party driver. I see hal.dll, dxgkrnl.sys and NTFS.sys causing blue screen.
April 2nd, 2010 8:50am

Check into driver verifier (which can have stability / perf impact on a server, so consider this before enabling). start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings->Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out of the dialog. Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem. In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes. Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier, and then check the dump.
April 2nd, 2010 7:27pm

Hi guys, Thanks for all your help. I have enabled driver verifyer on the server. Server rebooted with no issues. Here is the list of all non-microsoft drivers I have selected - I have uploaded the image to the folder below: should be in the same folder with minidump files http://cid-583c52f70e5e6b95.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/IntelCons%20Minidump Once BSOD happends what are my next steps? Do I collect the dump and upload it to the same folder for review? Would it have additional info for you to look at? Also, there were a lot of Microsoft drivers. I didn't select those - what if the BSOD is caused by those? Would it help if I select all of them (microsoft and non-microsoft)? Please advice, Vadim
April 5th, 2010 8:51am

The idea behind verifying non-Microsoft modules is that many times, those are the ones at fault or are caught doing something they shouldn't. If verifier on the non-Microsoft modules doesn't turn any additional details up, then the Microsoft modules can be selected (in blocks, since perf impact could be more dramatic with them verified), the idea being to selectively work the way through all drivers. You can upload dumps that take place after enabling verifier, and someone can check them to see if verifier was able to capture any additional details.
April 5th, 2010 1:50pm

I have just had another crash in the system. But I do not have a crash dump file in the regular location. I am puzzled and not sure why is that - could it be because I have a verifier.exe on for the non-microsoft drivers? Is there a place other than C:\Windows\Minidump I should be looking for the files? I didn't capture the error in BSOD - I typically think that I would get it from the dump file - so I don't have much info on the error itself. What is interesting is that I didn't have a crash since 4/1, so almost 9 days. But I wasn't using the server for the last 5 days - it was just sitting idle running hyper-v machines. Not sure if there are any correlations - appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks for your help, Vadim
April 9th, 2010 10:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics