BPA with Loopback ip addres warning
In our domain we have two 2008 R2 Domain Controllers. They are also DNS servers. Both of them have their own ip as the first DNS server configured, and second the other DC. I ran the BPA tool for the first time and get the following warning: Issue: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection on the target computer that is a DNS server does not have its own IP addresses in the list of DNS servers. Impact: The inclusion of its own IP address in the list of DNS servers improves performance and increases availability of DNS servers. Resolution: Click Start, click Network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections to add the loopback IP address to the list of DNS servers on all active interfaces. The loopback IP address should not be the first server in the list. I thought that the loopback address was only needed when there was not a second DNS entry configured, for replication purposes. Do i still have to configure the 127.0.0.1 address as third DNS entry?? Thanx
September 30th, 2010 2:53pm

Hello Biga_b, Personally, I would not use the loopback address but rather the server internal private address instead. When you use the loopback address it bypasses certain protocols and it's really for testing purposes. MiguelMiguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2010 3:27pm

That's what i thought.. But why would the BPA tool generate this warning?? I doublechechecked the DNS config on the DC's, and like i said first DNS own ip, second other DC.. Thanx
September 30th, 2010 3:54pm

Wow! According to this KB, the loopback address should be included in the list of DNS servers unted the TCP/IP advanced tab but it states that it should not be the first address in the LAN DNS. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378900(WS.10).aspx Hope it resolves the error....Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
September 30th, 2010 5:35pm

I've read that article, but the discription is a little vague..at least for me.. I copy/paste part of the article, and put my comment in red Impact The inclusion of its own IP address in the list of DNS servers improves performance and increases availability of DNS servers. Here is where my confusion begins. The inclusion of its own IP address in the list of DNS servers improves performance and increases availability of DNS servers. However, if the DNS server is also a domain controller and it points only to itself for name resolution, it can become an island and fail to replicate with other domain controllers. In my case the DNS server points to itself and the other DC, so i don't need the loopback adapter. For this reason, use caution when configuring the loopback address on an adapter if the server is also a domain controller.I'm cautious,didn't use the loopback adapter.The loopback address should be configured only as a secondary or tertiary DNS server on a domain controller. So questions is: Only to get rid of the BPA warning, i have to configure a loopback adapater?? And this adapter wouldn't have any other purpose.. Please, please tell me i'm wrong..
September 30th, 2010 6:06pm

That's what it sounds like to me. It is a bit confusing. Make sure that the local IP address is the address in the LAN DNS settings as well as in the TCP/IP advanced properties and the next DNS server is set as the second. If the error persists, add the loopback address to the DNS settings under TCP/IP advanced as per the article and see what happens. Just the BPA gives this error? I would not worry if everything is working fine. It sounds like you have a good, sound configuration in place already. The BPA error I would ignore. Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
September 30th, 2010 6:44pm

Hi Biga_b, Thanks for posting here. I agree with Miguel. As you can see , the introduction in the BPA article states that the situation when DC points to itself only ,and no other DNS servers was listed in it and that’s not recommended . In your case , you can ignore these warning with the settings right now. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 1st, 2010 5:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics