Azure is hung: CREATE DATABASE AS COPY OF

I have a process to duplicate a small production database for export to bacpac blobs. It deletes the copy database from the previous day, waits 30 minutes then creates copy as in "CREATE DATABASE MyServer.MyDatabaseCopy AS COPY OF MyServer.MyDatabase". This has been working for months without incident.

Today, the "CREATE DATABASE AS COPY OF" operation failed with the following exception:

• System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out

It looks like the copy got kicked off as the portal shows "...Copying", (see screen dump below).

This had been like this for hours. The database is very small, resulting bacpac files are less than a MB. Below is the sys.dm_database_copies result.

It look like this is hung on the server. Anybody have any ideas how to free it up?

database_id 5
start_date 2013-05-24 13:27:44.0270000 +00:00
modify_date 2013-05-24 13:27:44.0270000 +00:00
percent_complete NULL
error_code NULL
error_desc NULL
error_severity NULL
error_state NULL
copy_guid CB1A6722-7FFF-496B-9BED-95E361912B20
partner_server removed
partner_database Area15Records
replication_state 0
replication_state_desc PENDING
maximum_lag NULL
is_continuous_copy 0
is_target_role 1
is_interlink_connected 1

May 24th, 2013 5:53pm

may be something got stuck.

Take help of support they will remove this stuck entry.

Thanks,

Dilkush

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2013 6:22am

It's cleared up now. For the future, please advise how to get support on a Microsoft systemic issue.
May 31st, 2013 10:25pm

You need to open support ticket with Microsoft support.

If you have msdn subscription or if your azure subscription has any support incidents then you can use them or just search for Microsoft support online and you will get needed details.

Thanks,

Dilkush

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2013 4:35pm

Searching support I went to http://support.microsoft.com/get-support/more/. I selected Azure, one screen flashed with some prompts, then I get a 404 page not found with no opportunity to enter anything.
June 5th, 2013 6:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics