Azure VMs - Upgradeing from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2014, side by side
Hello everyone,

We're planning to upgrade our existing setup from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2014 at Azure.
The new server is up and running with SQL 2014.

Now, my job is to move all databases and SQL jobs to this new server.
Then, test command line database build and convert all existing SSIS Packages.

Once I prepare this server, the next task is to prepare 2 QA servers in a similar manner.
And finally, the production server.

Can anybody please advise what needs to be taken care to complete this job successfully?
Also, please advise how to prepare the templates or scripts, which could be reused for other servers down the line.

Likewise, please suggest how to get the maximum benefits/advantages of SQL 2014 at Azure?
Like,
http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2014/09/25/using-ssds-in-azure-vms-to-store-sql-server-tempdb-and-buffer-pool-extensions.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August 21st, 2015 5:15am

Moving from lower version to newer should not be a problem at all.

For moving SQL jobs to new server, you select job, right clik it and select ScriptJobAs-CreateTo-File. Save file, open it and execute on all servers.

When moving databases, you have two options, to backup databases and restore them on new server, or to generate script. I would recommend script as it's easier to move it around (less MB to copy).

To generate script, select database, right click, select task, select GenerateScript. Execute script on server and database is restored.

Note that on wizard for database script, on SetScriptiongOptions you need to select Advance. In parametars set ScriptTriggers to True  and TypesOfDataToScript set to 'Schema and Data' .

For SSIS packages, connect to SSIS, select package,right click and select Export package. Copy package to new server and on new SSIS run import package.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 9:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics