Azure Server 2008 CAS issue installing SQL Express

I get error "Microsoft .NET Framework CAS Policy Manager has stopped working" when attempting to install MS SQL Server Express on an Azure Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine.  The error occurs for any version of SQL Server Express (2008,2012, 2014 have been tried)

Please, How do I eliminate that error so I can install SQL Server Express?

Here are some of the things I have tried:

• Using Server Manager: Add Feature Net Framework 3.5; Not adding Feature Net Framework 3.5, Adding Role Web Server (IIS) with and without various service roles; Adding or not adding IIS Service Roles for Application Development...  ETC.  I also tried installing SQL Express 2008 without adding any Features or Roles to the server after deployment.  All configurations result in the same error when I try to install SQL Express.
  • After, before, and various time during the attempted installation of SQL Server Express,  I ran he Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool. That did not help.
  • I tried setting up the complete server with IIS, two running websites, installing ASP.NET 4.5.2, running all updates until no updates were found before attempting to install SQL Server Express ....  and still no luck adding SQL Express (any version).
  • I tried learning about CAS but gave up - it does not even seem applicable to what I am doing. I am not creating any code - just trying to install a MS SQL Express server.  This should be all defaulted stuff in the Windows 2008 server virtual machine and SQL Express install - unless SQL Express has changed since CAS was depreciated.
  • I installed a Windows Server 2012 virtual machine in Azure and created all my websites and installed SQL Server Express 2012 - all without any errors or issues - so this seems to be an issue with the Azure MS Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine.

Can someone explain why I get the error, or better yet one simple set of things to do to eliminate the error and install any version of SQL Server Express (2008, 2012, 2014) on the Azure Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine? 

I have created 4 different machines, configuring each in different steps and with different options.  I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 because that is the server I will migrate to Azure if  (and this is a big if at this time) I can resolve this without becoming a certified highest level IT technician. 

September 6th, 2015 2:54pm

Hi Science,

The above error can occur if the .net framework on your system is corrupted. From your description, it doesnt help to run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool.

Could you please use the .NET Framework cleanup tool
to remove.NET Framework from your system firstly? Then reinstall required .NET Framework and check if you can successfully install SQL Server Express. For more details about downloading .NET Framework cleanup tool and reinstalling .NET Framework, please review this blog: .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide.

Also I recommend you post the question in the Azure Virtual Machines forum to check if there are any issues with Azure Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 5:52am

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try the cleanup tool, however, since I cannot install any version of MS SQL Express on a clean, unused, newly created Azure MS Server 2008 R2 virtual machine, I have doubts that will help.  It comes with NO ASP.NET unless you add the Feature for ASP.NET 3.x.x in Server Manager. Would that not install a clean, un-corrupted ASP.Net Framework? 

PS,  I did place this questions in the Azure Virirtual Machines forum.  Someone else moved it here.  

If no luck after using cleanup tool, I will place again in Virtual Machine Forum with different title

Science

September 7th, 2015 9:15am

Science,

Even I`m facing the same issue while installing SQL 2008 Enterprise on Win2008 R2 VM running in AZURE.

Did <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="15" id="15"><g class="gr_ gr_14 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="14" id="14">tried</g> .</g>NET Removal TOOL and cleanup tool.

Still the same error - 

Microsoft .NET Framework CAS Policy Manager has stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX64
  Application Name: caspol.exe
  Application Version: 2.0.50727.5483
  Application Timestamp: 530eed35
  Fault Module Name: System.Data.dll
  Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.5483
  Fault Module Timestamp: 530eeed9
  Exception Offset: 00000000001d169d
  Exception Code: c0000409
  Exception Data: 0000000000000000
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.400.8
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: bf02
  Additional Information 2: bf027ecb1f69aa98c58b61a0f9389270
  Additional Information 3: 9768
  Additional Information 4: 97683641a469f4f5a75bd7b4e8af76de

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

<g class="gr_ gr_36 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="36" id="36">Incase</g> if you find any resolution, please update on this forum.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 7:50pm

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try the cleanup tool, however, since I cannot install any version of MS SQL Express on a clean, unused, newly created Azure MS Server 2008 R2 virtual machine, I have doubts that will help.  It comes with NO ASP.NET unless you add the Feature for ASP.NET 3.x.x in Server Manager. Would that not install a clean, un-corrupted ASP.Net Framework? 

PS,  I did place this questions in the Azure Virirtual Machines forum.  Someone else moved it here.  

If no luck after using cleanup tool, I will place again in Virtual Machine Forum with different title

Science

Hi Science,

Regarding to the ASP.NET issues, I recommend you post the question in the Azure Virtual Machines forum to get better support.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang
September 7th, 2015 10:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics