Azure SQL Sync going Live

Hi Guys 

I am seriously looking at SQL Azure data sync for one of my clients, it covers the exact use case we are looking for. Problem is it is difficult to plan a project and sell it when there is no indication of when the feature will come out of preview. 

I know the question has been asked before, but the last reply I can find was almost 10 months ago. When will it be ready for production implementation? Roughly, I know you like to keep your cards close to your chest!

It seems many people are already using it for auxiliary business functionality. 

Your replies will be greatly appreciated. 

June 24th, 2013 9:36pm

Hi Pizzabunny,

I also wish I knew the answer to your question.  My suspicion is that it will be a long time before it comes out of preview.  Of note, it still has a great many quirks and issues which you will need to work around if you do try to use it.

Alternatively you could look at the Sync Framework and write your own solution as they've abstracted away much of the related complexity and I suspect you can get support for it.  

Denis

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2013 3:02pm

Hi Dennis

Yeah it is a bit of a frustration. I`ve really struggled with getting it to work after the schemas have changed, It doesn't really give much detail on errors.

Microsoft is pushing the Partners to implement Azure solutions, and with Data Sync as part of the package we have a ready market.

Anyway lets wait and hope.

Frikkie Venter

June 26th, 2013 8:01pm

Hi Frikkie,

I definitely feel your pain as I've had tons of issues when trying to make schema changes.  If it helps, I've thus far found that the following steps allow you to modify the schemas without issue.

1. Stop any syncing process
  2. Update the sync definition to no longer include any existing columns which will be removed or changed significantly
  3. Make your changes to both databases (schema changes are not synced)
  4. Refresh your schema definition in the sync
  5. Add any new or re-add the modified columns to the sync schema definition and save
  6. Restart the sync process

I'm tweaking it as I go should I encounter any issues, but hopefully it'll be of help to prevent errors in the future.  If you also know of any process that reduces issues please let me know as I'm keen to save myself all the pain I can and understand that while this is in preview, we're more or less on our own.

Denis

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2013 9:33pm

Thanks Denis

I will keep those steps in mind.

We are busy building a POC, Will keep you updated with what we come up with!

Frikkie

July 3rd, 2013 6:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics