Azure SQL Resource Group similar to Web Sites

Hi,

Is it possible to create an Azure SQL resource group - similar to the concept used for Web sites, where you can create many web sites within a single resource group. I have a requirement to host many SQL databases under a single resource group, sharing the available disk quota and DTU's between the databases.

I would like the option to create many databases that share a single account, rather than having to pay for every database. Otherwise the cost is simply too high and it is very inefficient in terms of resource usage against cost.

It is a common requirement to have many databases that are hit infrequently, and by sharing a single resource group, it would make it cost affective to host in Azure. As it currently stands, unless I am wrong, every SQL database created costs, which makes hosting many databases - quite expensive, especially if the databases are hit infrequently.

Ideally, I would be able to create an SQL Azure S3 account, with 100 DTU's 250GB of database space and share this resource across 10 separate databases. This way, I get resource responsive and efficient database hosting, with the DTU load and disk usage spread across the databases. Without this option, it will cost 10 times (46 x 10 - is prohibitively expensive) the cost to host the databases, which is simply prohibitive.

I look forward to a response.

Regards

Age G.

January 19th, 2015 2:50pm

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Mekh.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2015 4:35pm

Thanks for your feedback here.  Know that we are looking at further evolutions of the Azure SQL Database business model.  Right now we have nothing to share, but have hinted at some of the work we are doing here.

Please stay tuned for more information.  A great way to stay connected is the Azure blog and the database section. http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/topics/database/

From a recent blog back in September, we said. http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/08/26/new-azure-sql-database-service-tiers-generally-available-in-september-with-reduced-pricing-and-enhanced-sla/

Additionally, during the preview, weve heard from some ISVs, which have a large number of databases with variable performance demands, that they need the flexibility to share performance resources across these databases as opposed to managing resources for databases individually.  For example, some SaaS ISVs may have a separate SQL database for each customer and as the activity of each database varies, they want to manage a pool of resources with a defined budget across these customer databases.  We are working to enable this scenario within the new service tiers in a future service update. If you are an ISV with a similar scenario, please click here to sign up to learn more.

January 20th, 2015 2:59am

Thanks for your feedback here.  Know that we are looking at further evolutions of the Azure SQL Database business model.  Right now we have nothing to share, but have hinted at some of the work we are doing here.

Please stay tuned for more information.  A great way to stay connected is the Azure blog and the database section. http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/topics/database/

From a recent blog back in September, we said. http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/08/26/new-azure-sql-database-service-tiers-generally-available-in-september-with-reduced-pricing-and-enhanced-sla/

Additionally, during the preview, weve heard from some ISVs, which have a large number of databases with variable performance demands, that they need the flexibility to share performance resources across these databases as opposed to managing resources for databases individually.  For example, some SaaS ISVs may have a separate SQL database for each customer and as the activity of each database varies, they want to manage a pool of resources with a defined budget across these customer databases.  We are working to enable this scenario within the new service tiers in a future service update. If you are an ISV with a similar scenario, please click here to sign up to learn more.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 20th, 2015 2:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics