Azure Emulator SSL HTTPS Endpoints Not Working

I've followed the steps here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ff795779.aspx#HTTPSInDevEnv.

I've looked throughout the web and forums, but I can't figure out why SSL doesn't work for me locally in the Azure emulator. I've tried just enabling HTTPS without specifying a certificate and using a self-signed certificate (created through IIS), but both results are the same, HTTPS page doesn't load. I have two different web roles (one with 2 instances, one with 1). I've tried both full IIS and IIS express to no avail. When in full IIS, I see the sites created, but there are no bindings for SSL. I can set it manually and it'll work though.

Are there logs I can look at to see what's causing the issue?

June 28th, 2013 9:29am

Hi,

Please check you have done them in this part of above article about configuring certificate on HTTPS endpoint:

By default the self-signed certificate that is used by the compute emulator is not root-trusted. When you browse to the HTTPS, you will receive a certificate error unless you add the certificate to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store on the local computer. You can ignore the error, or you can add the certificate to the trusted root to eliminate it.

When running the hosted service in the Windows Azure compute emulator, the SSL port maybe set to something other than 443 (often 444 or 445.) If a port that you specify is not available, for an HTTPS endpoint 443, the compute emulator will increment the port number until it finds one that is free.

To use port 443 you must shutdown the application or web site that is using the port, exit, and restart the compute emulator to reload the list of available ports. Shutting down and restarting the emulator does not reload the list of available ports.

To determine whether the port 443 is being used, you can open a command prompt and use the NETSTAT command. For more information about the NETSTAT command, see Netstat.

Thanks,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2013 10:50am

I have tried all of those things. No luck. When I attempt to navigate to the site (https://127.0.0.1:444), nothing loads. I would be content with a security warning, however, nothing loads. The only thing I can think of is that the subject name for the cert doesn't match the domain. Maybe this is for Azure only and not for development/emulator?

--

An SSL certificate that is used to help secure an HTTPS endpoint in Windows Azure must have the following features:

• The certificate must contain a private key.
  • The purpose of the certificate should be Server Authentication.
  • The subject name for the certificate must match the domain name that is used to access the service.
  • Requires a minimum crypto key size of 2048-bits.

June 29th, 2013 6:18am

I've also tried creating a self-signed wildcard certificate and using it on my Azure staging site. The certificate is there on the VM, but the binding to my endpoints aren't. I can manually set it (I then get the expected certificate security warning which is ok) and it works.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2013 7:43am

I have a valid SSL I purchased and things are still not working. How can I troubleshoot?
July 3rd, 2013 2:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics