Autoplay and USB Mess Storage Device problem
Dear all:OS: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.I use gpedit.msc to open Local Group Policy Editor.Local Computer Policy > ComputerConfiguration> Administrative Templates >1.In Windows Components > AutoPlay Policies, Tune off Autoplay =Enabled ,CD-ROM and removable media driversDefault behavior for AutoRun =Enable,Do not execute any autorun commandsQ: From Windows Explorer, double click the DVD-ROM, it execute autorun.inf, not explore the folder. How should I do to tune autorun.inf off?2. InSystem > Removeable Storage Access,Removable Disks: Deny read access = Enabled Removable Disks: Deny write access = EnabledQ: Does it means I am safe from any removeable USB storage device?Thanks for any information. Streit Huang
May 30th, 2008 9:18am

Hello, Regarding the first question: ================= If you don't want the autorun to run automatically after you double-click the drive, you may need to perform an additional action: Open the Registry, located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2. Right click this key and click Permissions For all users and groups, set the Read permissions to Deny. Please note that before changing the Registry, you should always back up your Registry first. Regarding the second question: =================== Yes, by doing that you can deny all access to that removable media. Additionally, you can restrict the installation of devices by changing the following Group Policy: Computer Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Device Installation-->Device Installation Restrictions Hope this helps. Best regards,Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2008 2:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics