Automatically configure Outlook 2011 to use an s/MIME certificate
Hello all, Our environment is primarily Exchange 2007 & Outlook 2011 on Windows 7 clients. Users are obtaining their s/MIME certificates transparently, however, they still need to manually go into the Trust Center in Outlook to "verify" that their certificate appears before the Encrypt & Sign buttons appear on the tab of new messages. I would really like to eliminate this manual step. We are issuing the certificates using a .NET executable, so it would be trivial to programmatically obtain the certificate serial number or thumbprint. Given that, would it be possible for the program to also create the necessary registry settings to configure the Outlook client to use the certificate? If so, can someone fill me in on what those registry settings are?
August 11th, 2011 7:59pm

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:59:19 +0000, Mike Bruno wrote: Our environment is primarily Exchange 2007 & Outlook 2011 on Windows 7 clients. Users are obtaining their s/MIME certificates transparently, however, they still need to manually go into the Trust Center in Outlook to "verify" that their certificate appears before the Encrypt & Sign buttons appear on the tab of new messages. I would really like to eliminate this manual step. We are issuing the certificates using a .NET executable, so it would be trivial to programmatically obtain the certificate serial number or thumbprint. Given that, would it be possible for the program to also create the necessary registry settings to configure the Outlook client to use the certificate? If so, can someone fill me in on what those registry settings are? I think that you mean Outlook 2010 and you're probably better off asking this question in one of the Office forums, as this really isn't a Windows Server related question. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca You know it is going to be a bad day when you forget your new password.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2011 8:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics