Automatically Populate The Description Field Of A Computer Account

Greetings

I have a quick question regarding USN, I'm a scripting newbie so I would like a little clarification on USN. I have a script which runs at Logon which populates the computer description field with the logon user and the date of logon. Now most of our users 'hotdesk' so this computer description could very well likely change on a daily basis, plus the date will change every day as well. We have around 12000 users, now reading an article on the 4sysops website it states that the USN could be exhausted within the Domain due to the levels of change within objects. Would I be putting the company I work for at risk by implementing this GPO? Last thing I would want to do is kill their Domain.

The Script I'm using is as follows:

Set
WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")

Set objWMI =
GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

' My Date
myDateString = Date()
' Get computer object in AD
Set objSysInfo =
CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")

Set objComputer =
GetObject("LDAP://" & objSysInfo.ComputerName)

' Build up description field
data and save into computer object if different from current description

' We also do not update
computers with a description that starts with an underscore (_)

newDescription =
WshNetwork.UserName & " - Logged on - " & myDateString

if not
objComputer.Description = newDescription and not
left(objComputer.Description,1) = "_" then

objComputer.Description
= newDescription

objComputer.SetInfo
end if<o:p></o:p>

If there is a better way of using this script please let me know, or if I can change this in
any way to make it less more of a risk that would be great. Thanks in advance
for your suggestions.

Regards

S

• Edited by Stewart.N 21 hours 27 minutes ago
September 14th, 2015 5:40am

The purpose of your script seems to be to update the computer description with the user that is logging onto that computer. That would only work if the user logging on has the ability to update that attribute for the computer object in Active Directory. This would require a permission change for the computer object. There are two reasons I do not recommend this approach:

1. The permissions on the computer object must be such that every user logging on can update the description attribute.

2. If #1 is true, then there is nothing stopping any user from updating the description manually and forging a logon time. This isn't acceptable as reliable data with a competent auditor.

Instead, if logon times are critical, I would recommend searching for a tool that can track this information for you from the security

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 10:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics