Automatic updates reboot into System Recovery
I have Windows 2008 R2 server, running a few Windows 2008R2 virtual machines. I have 1 Virtual machine that every time Automatic Updates reboots the system, it ends up at the the system recovery screen. Every time I have to go in, cancel it, and the machine reboots back into windows. Everything works fine, the updates are installed, and I see no errors in the logs. If I reboot, or shutdown and start up the VM, either by remote desktop to the vm, using SCE, or Logging into to base server and using the hyper-v management console, it never goes to safe mode. -John
January 11th, 2012 6:57pm

Look into windowsupdate.log to find the cause. Similarly the update history can give useful information. Impportant information can be in Event logs. Give us more information to find the way to recovery. Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2012 9:04pm

Look into windowsupdate.log to find the cause. Similarly the update history can give useful information. Impportant information can be in Event logs. Give us more information to find the way to recovery. Regards Milos
January 11th, 2012 9:04pm

Hi Padawan, Thanks for posting. Could it be possible that Windows Update keeps trying to install one specific update that cause this problem? My suggestion is to disable Auto-Update and install updates manually one at a time to narrow down the problematic one. After installing each update, reboot the VM manually and check if it reboots successfully. As Milos suggested, please double check the WindowsUpdate.log and Event logs. Meanwhile, please check if any dump files can be seen under C:\Windows Thanks ZHANG
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2012 5:48am

Hi Padawan, Thanks for posting. Could it be possible that Windows Update keeps trying to install one specific update that cause this problem? My suggestion is to disable Auto-Update and install updates manually one at a time to narrow down the problematic one. After installing each update, reboot the VM manually and check if it reboots successfully. As Milos suggested, please double check the WindowsUpdate.log and Event logs. Meanwhile, please check if any dump files can be seen under C:\Windows Thanks ZHANG
February 4th, 2012 9:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics