Automated export appearing on database list

Hello,

I have an Azure SQL Database (Web edition) with an automated export set for daily exports.

Sometimes (like today for instance) when I log into Azure management portal, I see an additional database listed with the name of my export.

As far as I know, an export should not be listed as a new available database, right?

Why this is happening and how can I fix that?

Thank you,

January 29th, 2015 2:43pm

Hello Igor, 

Thank you for asking this question.

The Automated Export service creates a database copy of the database you are exporting. It then will perform the export operation on the copy of the database. This is done to guarantee transaction consistency during the export. After the export has completed the database copy will be deleted. 

You can learn more about Import/Export and Automated Export here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh335292.aspx

Additionally if you are interested in our Basic, Standard, or Premium service tiers, they come with built-in restore capabilities.

You can learn more about these capabilities and other business continuity capabilities here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh852669.aspx

If you would like to share more about your scenario or discuss Azure SQL Database's backup and restore capabilities in further detail please email me at Elfish at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks and I hope this helps,

-Eli

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2015 7:18pm

Hello Eli,

Thank you for the reply,

I know about the backup/restore capabilities of the new service tiers. However, lets stick with the web edition.

My question is why does the export is kept on my database list instead of just being export to a blob into my storage account?

Besides, it is very unlikely that this problem occur.... don't know when this happens...

Any ideas?

January 29th, 2015 7:30pm

Hello Igor,

Thanks for clarifying the situation further.

This export is kept on your database list while the automated export is in progress. The reason this is done is to indicate that a database copy has been made of the database which is being exported. The database copy is given the name of the export. This database copy is used for the export to guarantee transaction consistency during the export operation. After this is done the copy of the database will be deleted and removed from your list of databases.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

-Eli

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2015 2:10am

Hello Igor,

Thanks for clarifying the situation further.

This export is kept on your database list while the automated export is in progress. The reason this is done is to indicate that a database copy has been made of the database which is being exported. The database copy is given the name of the export. This database copy is used for the export to guarantee transaction consistency during the export operation. After this is done the copy of the database will be deleted and removed from your list of databases.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

-Eli

January 30th, 2015 2:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics