Auto run as admin in non admin accounts
I have an application that will not run unless it is run in Admin mode. As an administrator it is easy to get around this by using the Run As Admin option but my users which operate in locked down mode can not do this because they would be prompted for admin credentials and I don't want to give them access to such an account. I need a way to grant standard users admin impersonation rights just for one application (one executable). Basically the system has to remember my admin credentials to impersonate only for this one case. The user name and password would have to be opaque to the user so he can't use them for other purposes and the launch should not prompt for anything. I don't see any way to do this built into the OS so maybe there are some third party solutions. This has to run in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 running RDS. Some have recommended scripting but this approach allows the user to see the credentials.
May 5th, 2011 12:31am

Hi Perry, As you said there is no build-in function which can help workaround this, to allow a standard user to run as Admin. This is about security so we cannot find a solution. My personal view is that you may have a try to monitor the registry keys and maybe system files the application will load when it is running, test to give the standdard users permission on these registry keys and/or files. This is not a solution and I cannot ensure it will work.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 9th, 2011 11:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics