Auto log off of user
Is there a way to automatically log off a user after they have been inactive for awhile? Issue I am having is people are forgetting to log off the domain and then somone tries to log in and the computer is locked. I am running server 2003 with xp clients.
October 4th, 2009 4:05pm

Hi bdelisa

you can using Group Policy through logoff user on your domain

Click -> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools > local securitu policy > local policies \ security options \ "Automatically log off users"

Window server 2003 use shutdown.exe logoff the client machine

switch -l (to log off), -s (to shut down), or -r (to reboot). (-txx time delay)

Ex:- shutdown /s -l \\computername

Thanks...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 4th, 2009 6:46pm

Hi deva_1002,

AFAIK the policy Amount of idle time required before disconnecting session is specific to the SMB session timeout , this might be due to an applicaiton which uses namepipe and is inactive for a long duration or it might be for a driver which is not accepting any data for a long time.

And the SMB session would be SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX, so my question is does this policy invokes

SMB_com_logoff_ANDX ?

October 5th, 2009 1:39am

Hi,

i can suggest two things regarding to your requirement.

1) To logoff the user after a certain period of inactivity, you may use the Winexit screensaver which comes with Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools (free). Download Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools from here. It contains the file Winexit.scr [Windows Exit Screen Saver]. Once installed, reboot the system.

Open C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
Right-click winexit.scr and choose Install
The Display Properties dialog box appears with the Screen Saver tab active
The Logoff Screen Saver entry is automatically selected
Click Settings
Select the Force application termination check box to force programs to quit
In the Countdown for n seconds box, type the value accordingly
In the Logoff Message box, type the message that appears during the logoff countdown. Click OK.
In the Display Properties dialog box, click Preview.
You see the Auto Logoff dialog box. It displays the logoff message and the countdown timer.
Click Cancel. Click OK.
The Force application termination option forces programs to quit even if the programs contain unsaved data. If you do not use this option, programs that contain unsaved data do not quit and the user is not logged off.

or

2) You could create a GPO that sets the Power Management on the workstation so that it powers it off after a certain time of inactivity.

So first power down the monitor and then the hard disks and then system shutdown.

Regards,
Mahi

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, October 12, 2009 3:41 AM
October 5th, 2009 4:04am

Hi,

As Mahi suggested, winexit.scr is a tool to automatically log off users. You can create a OU contains the computer which should log off automatically after a period of inactivity, and then deploy the winexit.scr to this OU. For more information, please refer to the following articles:

How To Force Users to Quit Programs and Log Off After a Period of Inactivity in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Thanks,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, October 12, 2009 3:42 AM
October 5th, 2009 9:52am

any update on this case?
October 6th, 2009 10:42pm

You can also use psshutdown using the logoff and accepteula switches to run as a scheduled task using system and execute on idle of nn minutes. 
Problem I have is that it only works on on xp and 2003.

Has anyone found a solution that works on 2008 Server?
  • Proposed as answer by JLM_JR Friday, February 12, 2010 5:13 PM
February 12th, 2010 5:12pm

You can give a look to UserLock, a 3rd-party software solution, that can (among numerous other features) close sessions after a certain period of inactivity (and also logoff a session locked for longer than a specified time length).

October 18th, 2010 7:29am

You can also use psshutdown using the logoff and accepteula switches to run as a scheduled task using system and execute on idle of nn minutes. 
Problem I have is that it only works on on xp and 2003.

Has anyone found a solution that works on 2008 Server?

For anyone looking to implement an auto log off where you can set the exact time down to the second...look no further than...

http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/downloads      The application is called "Idle Logoff"

It is 100% FREE and there are quite a few other nifty tools you can download for FREE.

I have this implemented as I found no other solution that did everything I wanted it to.  Just make a batch file that runs the program at user logon and presto...There is no limit to the amount of time you can set.

• Proposed as answer by Maurice Moss Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:36 PM
August 2nd, 2012 6:25pm

Scheduling a simple batch file to run on user machines can log off users at specific intervals

A recent discussion 'Log off certain users at specific time GPO'

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/fd9547e1-c736-47d9-bf57-be40d97684d5

August 2nd, 2012 6:32pm

Do you have a manual for installing and configuring this because it just come up as a scrren saver and it does not log me off.

Thanks.

August 7th, 2012 11:44pm

Do you have a manual for installing and configuring this because it just come up as a scrren saver and it does not log me off.

Thanks.

PLease check

How to Configure the Windows Exit Screen Saver Tool : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297267

August 8th, 2012 4:55am

A tool called AutoLogoff will do what is discussed. It is configured through group policy. You can force logoff, standby or lock the screen. Also first locking, then logoff is supported. It displays a warning message to the user. See http://wizardsoft.nl/autologoff/autologoff.html
September 9th, 2012 8:27am

Man...I wish I was a moderator so I could mark my answers as correct!
September 11th, 2012 7:16pm

Hey!

I have window server 2008 but in need of the group policy steps for my company.

July 27th, 2015 2:57am

Please send me the steps because i have suched and failed .I really need them.
July 27th, 2015 2:59am

I want the second option
July 27th, 2015 3:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics