Authentication mystery
So I can't figure out for the life of me how this is working and I figure someone might show me the way. Here is the setup1) 2 domains that say DOMA and DOMB that don't have any trust setup2) I have an account on both domains say DOMA\User1 and DOMB\User1 (named the same w/ different passwords)3) My laptop sits ont he DOMA domainSo the mystery is, somehow I can authenticate to my DOMB\User1 account via my DOMA\User1 account. My credentials pass through in certain .NET applications i.e. reporting services, custom applications and it shows I am logged in as DOMB\User1. It won't work via RDP or anything but just in other .NET apps. Any ideas how this is working?
October 26th, 2009 6:33pm

Hi David Hodge, Thank you for posting in windows server forums, This is wierd! , you mean to say you are able to authenticate to DomB using DomA user credentials ?? , i would like you to give more info are you logging with DomA user credentials on to the client which is a part of DomB ??Solutions Architect
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2009 8:01am

Yes I am not quite sure how it is working. Looking into some of the code it uses System.Net.CredntialCache.DefaultCredentials when trying to log me in.
October 28th, 2009 5:24am

Hi BB David Hodge, Can you please let me know more about "System.Net.CredntialCache.DefaultCredentials " have you customized winlogon process ? i mean are you trying to run any custom dll's ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 28th, 2009 5:42am

So it pases the defualt credntials to reporting services over on DOMB which works and thinks I am the DOMB\User1 even though my default credntials should probably be my DOMA\User1 account.
October 28th, 2009 6:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics