Authenticate non-domain computer to Server 2003
Our school IT department has 7 servers with various functions. Our printing server is running Server 2003 x32. Most staff and faculty computers are on the domain, but a small handful prefer to use personal computers and are running XP home. That is okay with us. However we need to be able to authenticate them to the print server individually (by computer name, MAC address, etc.) I am hesitant to allow unauthenticated access (guest account) because this will open the server to access by students and their laptops, which we do not want. Any suggestions?
January 9th, 2011 10:09pm

Hello Connor401, If students have domain account which is authorized by printer server, even though the computers are not member of domain, they can access the printer server. BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2011 2:04am

I am not completely following you. First we do not want students to be able to access the server. Otherwise we would simply allow unauthenticated (guest) access. It is the teachers that need access. When we try to access the server from the computers in question it prompts for a user name and password. This will give them temporary access. However this authorization will expire after a day or so and they must delete the printer and re-add it using said method. I want to go onto the print server and authorize a specific computer to have access to all its shared resources.
January 10th, 2011 10:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics