Australia East Azure SQL database plagued with access errors since Friday outage

Since Friday July 3rd starting at 13:00NZT have been experiencing unacceptable errors and timeouts with web applications accessing Azure SQL databases in the Sydney Azure data center. Hundreds of requests to the database end with this error;

"The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

There is nothing wrong with the WebApp or the database which have both been working without any database connection errors since the beginning of December 2014 until Friday July 3rd, 2015 at 12:50 NZT. See graphics below from this morning. 

Is anybody doing anything about fixing this problem in Sydney...? This current performance situation is derisory.

Note this database is well within operating limits at only 2.51% DTU usage and a mere 193Mb in size. Even the portal itself has trouble retrieving its own data!

July 5th, 2015 12:00am

We've had a fair amount of activity on our 2.25GB database in the last 48 hours. There have only been 7 failed connections in the last 24 hours (normally zero), but then you've had 500 times more successful connections than us, so in fact you might be better off than us!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 5th, 2015 2:10am

I'm also seeing issues with the portal and database connections since the outage on Friday. It's very frustrating.
July 5th, 2015 9:04am

Latest graphs/statistics for my apps taken in the last half hour, still lots of connection errors between WebApps and Azure SQL (sites that don't have a database work pretty well now).

I'm cautious about saying it might be improving in case I jinx it. WebApps over the weekend were close to unusable, customers don't call and tell you politely that your web site doesn't work, they just go elsewhere...

Top graph is the database, lower graph is the web site (note how it can't even retrieve its own statistics much of the time!).

Links if you can't see them properly;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5tzkTtn-faeTUhyM1BUTTdXN1k/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5tzkTtn-faeZm1hR3ZNZ1VKQnM/view?usp=sharing

July 5th, 2015 5:26pm

Yes quite... I've only had 328 failed connections out of 1,019,172 connection in the last 7 days...

What have I got to complain ab

July 5th, 2015 6:03pm

Yes quite... I've only had 328 failed connections out of 1,019,172 connection in the last 7 days...

What have I got to complain ab

July 5th, 2015 8:44pm

Well, look what turned up in my portal this morning

SQL Database - Australia East - Advisory [Australia East]

Starting at 07 July, 2015 13:55 UTC a subset of customers using SQL Database in Australia East may experience intermittent login failures or timeouts. A retry may allow a successful login. We are currently evaluating options to restore service. The next update will be provided in 60 minutes.

There has to be ongoing problems in Sydney since Friday, I ran up duplicate apps/databases in Melbourne and they worked absolutely

July 7th, 2015 4:15pm

Well, look what turned up in my portal this morning

SQL Database - Australia East - Advisory [Australia East]

Starting at 07 July, 2015 13:55 UTC a subset of customers using SQL Database in Australia East may experience intermittent login failures or timeouts. A retry may allow a successful login. We are currently evaluating options to restore service. The next update will be provided in 60 minutes.

There has to be ongoing problems in Sydney since Friday, I ran up duplicate apps/databases in Melbourne and they worked absolutely

July 7th, 2015 6:06pm

Let me apologise on behalf of Microsoft.  We did have a significant network related outage in Australia that's now been solved.

Please let me know if you need help or if your problems have been resolved.

Thanks Guy

July 7th, 2015 6:32pm

Thanks Guy, this has been a real trial for us!

Looks like some major restarting went on in the last half hour or so.

I hope you appreciate that I'll remain a little bit cautious in the next few ho

July 7th, 2015 6:49pm

Thanks Guy, this has been a real trial for us!

Looks like some major restarting went on in the last half hour or so.

I hope you appreciate that I'll remain a little bit cautious in the next few ho

July 8th, 2015 6:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics