Are these proper steps?
Hi all, one small company needs to go online and has future web site and emails too. So, it needs to find DNS registrar to register their domain; then find DNS provider to host their DNS zone; If I register ther domain from registrar, how do I link it to DNS servers? I specify when I register? Thank you.
July 30th, 2010 8:52pm

That seems right from what you have described. The registrar will set the name server records for the domain to point to the DNS provider's servers that host the zones. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2010 9:25pm

You might need to get the server information from the DNS provider so that you can set the NS records with the registrar. -- Mike Burr
July 30th, 2010 9:26pm

thank you. Any preference or recommendation to select registrar or DNS provider?
July 30th, 2010 11:25pm

I have used Network Solutions and GoDaddy several times. They both provide excellent services, but vary in prices. For a small business, I would also recommend that you use the registar's DNS solution. Its going to be more cost effective. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
July 31st, 2010 4:32am

Thank you for ALL your help. I was told by one registrar: If I use the registrar's DNS solution and need to create PTR records, I have to ask the ISP provider (owns the IPs) to create the PTR records since the registrar does not own the IPs. Is this true? Thanks.
July 31st, 2010 4:01pm

The information that was given to you regarding the PTR records is correct. So really it depends on how important is it for you to have PTR records for your external DNS records. If you host mail, it may be of importance to you. However, either way, if you choose to host your own DNS (forward and reverse [PTR] zones, your ISP would have to delegate your public IP range to point to your DNS servers. No matter what, if you want your public IPs to be able to resolve back to a name, your ISP has to be involved one way or another. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
August 2nd, 2010 12:58am

Great help. Do you know whether the ISP provider (owns IP addresses) will charge for the PTR records usually?
August 2nd, 2010 4:46pm

I don't know for sure, but I would expect that it would be included in the service they provide you. If they provide you with a range of public IPs, I would expect that the delegation of the reverse lookup range or the actual PTR records (if hosted on their end) would be included. A simple call to your ISP should reveal the answer to that question.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
August 2nd, 2010 10:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics