Are the R2 versions of Server completely the same as the standard versions?

Hi,

I'm moving my server operations to a new physical box and will be in a place to make a different decision than I did originally.  I had setup an IDE but had problems between 2012 R2 and SQL Server.  While I now think the problems were likely the result of something else I was doing wrong, I still have this question about the fundamental issue of an R2 version.  I remember at the time I never quite felt certain I understood it then.

So, is an R2 version of server software exactly the same as using the standard version?  If not, are the differences truly arcane, or is it something I can study to understand, just so I feel more informed?

Thanks.

April 22nd, 2015 5:51pm

Hi there,

I don't fully understand your question.  R2 has its own standard version, so are you asking if the R2 version is the same as the normal version. 

Here is an article in info world that lists some changes that were made between 2012 and 2012 R2: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2606748/microsoft-windows/108930-10-excellent-new-features-in-Windows-Server-2012-R2.html.

But,  if I do understand your question, the answer is no, they are not the same.  R2 is an update to the OS, so 2012 standard and 2012 standard R2 are separate OSes with there own features and benefits of using. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2015 5:59pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for your response.  I think you DID understand my question.  I previously thought they were the same, but it seems from your response they are not.  To be clear, when I look at MSDN subscriber downloads I see (among many software packages) these 2 different downloads:

Windows Server 2012 (x64)

Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)

I always thought they were the same, just that the R2 was the non-R2 version at a confirmed update level.  I didn't understand as you say that R2 is an update to the OS, update meaning fundamentally different.  Meaning that the non-R2 item listed above will never be updatable to the R2 level, right?

Is there ever any reason someone would, at this time, use standard and not R2, since it is an update and presumably better version?

April 22nd, 2015 6:43pm

Hi Alan,

The non-R2 is a different license then the R2 version.  So, yes, the non-R2 will not update to the R2 level, it would require a new license purchase,  at the minimum, and possibly a full reinstall or migration to new hardware. 

At this time,  I would recommend going with the R2 version.  There is nothing wrong with the non-R2 version, but there are probably added benefits in the R2 version,  the best one I see is the addition of the start button, much like going from 8 to 8.1. 

You say there were issues between 2012 R2 and SQL server. What version of SQL are you using?  they should get along well from SQL 2012 and up. 

April 22nd, 2015 7:41pm

The kernel is not at the same level with r2 versus non-r2. This change too the EOL of the product. 

A practical example is with Windows 2008, it's based off Vista kernel, while 2008 R2 is based off Windows 7 kernel.

A good place to check is there; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn250019.aspx

April 22nd, 2015 9:07pm

Hi,

As mentioned above, Windows Server 2012 R2 is an upgraded OS version of Windows Server 2012. There is something new and change. You may reference the link below for detailed information:
Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh801901.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

you have mentioned SQL server, confirm that your SQL server meets the requirement to be installed on Windows Server 2012/2012 R2:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2681562/en-us

Best Regards,
Eve Wang

April 22nd, 2015 10:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics