Are downloaded ISO's bootable?
I've downloaded multiple .iso files, including Win7 and Win2008 R2, and burned them to cd/dvd multiple times using multiple programs and I am unable to boot from any permutation. What am I missing?
December 27th, 2011 9:43pm

Yes, should be. Might try a different machine. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 27th, 2011 10:18pm

i believe you have to look for the option make disk bootable in your burning program/ssoftware and make it bootable like you would do a floppy back in the day
December 27th, 2011 10:58pm

If these are ISOs, they should be bootable (assuming they are meant to boot from, which in your case they are). Have you made sure that your BIOS has been set up properly to boot from CD/DVD before the hard drive (order of booting). Otherwise, if there is an OS on the hard drive, you'll never be able to boot from media if the media is after the hard disk in priority boot order. Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
December 27th, 2011 11:04pm

Hi, If you downloaded them from Microsoft website, the answer is yes. By the way, according to the description, it seems that you burn the ISO file as a data file(such as a txt file) instead of an ISO file. For more information, you can refer to: How To Burn an ISO Image File to a CD, DVD, or BD http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm By the way, you can burn the ISO into a thumb drive on another computer like the following blog. Thumb disk is writable so you can use it many times. And also installation from a thumb disk is faster than a DVD disk. Installing Windows 7 using usb thumb drive http://blogs.technet.com/aviraj/archive/2009/02/01/installing-windows-7-using-usb-thumb-drive.aspx Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 27th, 2011 11:42pm

I agree with Vincent. Please check your disk and examine the contents. U shouldn't see the original .iso file, but all the files contained in the .iso.
December 28th, 2011 2:59am

I've downloaded multiple .iso files, including Win7 and Win2008 R2, and burned them to cd/dvd multiple times using multiple programs and I am unable to boot from any permutation. What am I missing? You can burn Win 7 and 2008 r2 to DVD's only (unless you have 3-4 GB cd's). I doubt that multiple .iso images are corrupt/not bootable most likely there is something wrong with your machine (optical drive not booting or the method that you burned your dvd's is not correct). You can try some of the following tests: 1. Try bootable CD/DVD that you have tried before, on that machine. If it boots then the problem is with your DVD's. If not, the problem is on the local machine (keep troubleshooting). 2. Use a virtual machine and mount the .iso on the virtual optical drive and see if it is recognised and booted from. 3. As a different solution you could create a bootable memory stick (thumb drive) on which you have the image. Modify the BIOS setting in order to boot from the USB drive (removable drive). If you choose the USB boot drive method there is a software available that allows you to make multiple bootable images on that 1 USB drive. You can find the software here: http://www.sarducd.it/MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 28th, 2011 3:32am

Yes, should be. Might try a different machine. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
December 28th, 2011 6:12am

i believe you have to look for the option make disk bootable in your burning program/ssoftware and make it bootable like you would do a floppy back in the day
December 28th, 2011 6:52am

If these are ISOs, they should be bootable (assuming they are meant to boot from, which in your case they are). Have you made sure that your BIOS has been set up properly to boot from CD/DVD before the hard drive (order of booting). Otherwise, if there is an OS on the hard drive, you'll never be able to boot from media if the media is after the hard disk in priority boot order. Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
December 28th, 2011 6:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics