Are all Essentials Features supported on Windows Server Essentials Member servers?

Hi all,

I'm just curious. If I make my Windows server Essentials Server a member server and have my domain controllers on separate servers, then are all features still supported? Like, can I still use the remote access, VPN/Direct Access, and so on? (some articles I've read state that certain procedures can only be completed if said Windows Server essentials installation is also a domain controller.) If not, and I do make my Essentials server a domain controller, then can I add another one at any time? (I like having multiple domain controllers at all times). Thanks for any feedback; much appreciated!

February 22nd, 2015 2:12pm

There was an issue, well a bug, where Essentials would mess up if there were other DCs present, this was solved with an update rollup.

Is your server the Essentials SKU or Standard with the Role enabled? (Assuming 2012 R2)

The only slight issue that comes to mind is whether or not it will let you dcpromo down when you have the CA installed, so you may need to first uninstall the CA, dcpromo down, then reinstall Certificate Services.

There is a KB for Reinstalling Certificate Services, and I would not choose to do it lightly.

Any issue this cannot also be an additional DC?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 5:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics