Applied wim file does not correctly boot
Hi, I have to setup a HP DL380 G6 with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise X64. Normally we would do it using PXE boot, but I need to do offline for certain reasons. So I booted the server using WinPE, and successfully created a 51200MB disk using diskpart. The wim files are located on an external USB HDD. "select disk 0 clean create partition primary size=51200 assign letter=c: format fs=ntfs label="os" quick active exit" Applying the image using the following commands was successfull: "imagex \apply y:\myimage.wim 1 c: bootsect /nt60 c: or bootsect /nt52 c:" The image always seems to get successfully applied, but when I reboot the machine and it loads the Server OS it just shows the loading bar for a couple of seconds and then the machine reboots. I tested this installation on different hardware configuration of HP DL380 G6 machines and also tried it in a HyperV guest. On the physical machines I got always the same results, while it worked just fine on a virtual machine. This error applies to any OS wim file that I´m using, no matter if it is WinServer 2008 or Win2003, or just a client OS like Win7. And most of the time, not at every boot, they are requesting me to boot from OS DVD and run the repair function. Any tips are very much appreciated. Regards, Eddy
June 26th, 2010 9:38am

Hi Eddy, In order to narrow down the issue, please provide the information as below. 1. Is there a hidden or recovery partition on the source or destination computer? 2. Did you format the drive of the destination computer completely? 3. How did you capture the image? Please run bcdedit command in WinPE on the imaged machine. Does it see the C: drive as the boot partition? If not, please run the following command to configure it. x:\windows\system32\bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c: x:\windows\system32\bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c: x:\windows\system32\bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c: You may also try to use an Installation Media to run a startup repair of the computer to fix the problem. When you apply the image, please disconnect any external hardwares including network adapter, sound card, usb devices, etc to avoid such problems. Additionally, you don’t have to run the command “bootsect /nt60 c: or bootsect /nt52 c:” to restore the MBR after you apply the image. Regards, Karen Ji Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2010 7:51am

Hi Karen Ji, 1. No there´s no hidden/recovery partition. 2. Yes, I did a complete format of the entire drive by using the following diskpart commands at first: "select disk 0 clean create partition primary assign letter=c: format fs=ntfs label="os" active exit" 3. Sorry but the image wasn´t captured by me but from our Corporate Systems team in Seattle. Sorry must have forgotten to add it in my post before. Of course did I run the bcdedit commands. Strangely they are not always executed. Can´t replicate it right now and thus cannot tell you the exact error description. Will try it without an external USB HDD, hopefully that helps, even if I can´t imagine why it should ;-) P.S.: Meanwhile it gives me an error msg when booting, it says winload.exe would be missing or defective. Am currently trying to fix this with a Setup DVD, but honestly I want it to work w/o using the DVD. Regards, Eddy
June 28th, 2010 1:46pm

Hi Eddy, Did you try to run the bcdedit commands I posted in my previous reply. I would think it is truely the problem of unknown boot partition. Let me know what you find out. Regards, Karen JiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2010 1:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics