Applications freeze for 2 to 30 seconds when accessing server via RDP
Symptom: A server running some mission critical real time console applications work fine when left unattended. When internet connections are stable, and admin connects to the server via RDP, still everything fine. However, sometimes the connection to the server degrades and shows packet losses. In that case, RDP still succeeds to connect but all our applications on the server freeze for a time between 2 to 30 seconds. While the applications freeze, the windows UI is still usable (file explorer, switching active window etc). The display refresh is slower but this is expected with sub-optimal internet connection. The logfiles of the various applications show that the freeze occurs for the exact times in all our applications. Often, this effect occurs just when connecting to the server. Sometimes this occurs after some time, while the RDP session is up but the user does not even interact with the keyboard and mouse. Repeated tests showed, that at the time that we experience these problems, connecting from some another machine in the world, which has clean internet connection to the server, no freezes occur. Since these freezes cause our whole production system to malfunction, this makes remote administration via RDP essentially impossible. Server is Windows 2008R2 SP1. RDP clients are on Windows 2008R2 SP1 or Windows 7 Applications that freeze do NOT use networking outside of the local machine. Most applications are plain console applications. I googled some references to this or similar problems, however none with actual resolutions.
May 29th, 2011 9:12am

Hi, Please try to run the following commands from both client and server to see if it works. netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled netsh int tcp set global RSS=disabled netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2011 11:29pm

I suggest checking the machine's hard disk for problems as recently disks have been less reliable compared to older models. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 29th, 2011 11:49pm

Hi, I'm wondering if the information is helpful. If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thanks. BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 1st, 2011 2:06am

Hi Brent, Thanks for your answer. Since these are production servers in another country (and we cannot bring a test server over there) I would very much appreciate if you could throw me a hint or a link to the rational behind your suggestion. Please understand that I am reluctant to do a blind test with a production system. Dani
June 2nd, 2011 4:04pm

Thanks Vegan, I have difficulties though to understand the connection to our problem. Do you suggest that unstable internet connection can influence hard disks (we do not have any problems while the internet traffic is stable), or the other way round? Besides, I speak about multiple IBM servers, about 5 months old, and all exhibiting this problem. Dani
June 2nd, 2011 4:08pm

Excessive network problems can overwhelm the error control. Lets start with the network topology. 1) what is the speed of your server LAN running at 2) are remote connection part of the LAN or over the internet My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 2nd, 2011 4:25pm

Server LAN is on 1000Mb, clients are connected from abroad over plain Internet, no VPN, tunneling etc.
June 3rd, 2011 5:45am

Thanks Now I am expecting you are remotely logged in to the server. In this case the application is running on the Server. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 3rd, 2011 4:46pm

Repeated tests showed, that at the time that we experience these problems, connecting from some another machine in the world, which has clean internet connection to the server, no freezes occur. Who exactly is RDPing from where? Is your Admin on the outside RDPing in?
June 4th, 2011 12:40am

Hi, Please stick to original post here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/c200f3c6-1e6c-4d0a-a56d-1c2c148e3522 BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 6th, 2011 10:45am

Correct. RDP is used for administrating various production servers over the world, which run our applications, that suffer (under certain network conditions) from accessing the same machines via RDP.
June 6th, 2011 12:24pm

yes, admin rdp'ing into the server LAN from the outside
June 6th, 2011 12:27pm

Its possible the delays are due to disk latency too. What programs are you running on the server? My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 6th, 2011 3:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics