Application Server role question
Hi all, I was just wondering a couple of things. I know that when installing the Application server role on a server it provides the features of the .net framework versions 3.0 and versions 3.5SP1. In the future, I'll be running a combination ASP.net web interface and WCF service. The author doesn't seem to think that the application server role is required, and that's why I'm wondering how it really works. This application happens to use the .net framework 4.0, which is also installed. I mean, what are some of the most common examples outside of sharepoint and that kind of thing where the application server role is required to run an application. I've never seen it required even in comercial applications. Does it work that WCF services that run in the context of the .net framework 4.0 no longer need that role? I have Server 2008 R2 foundation edition by the way. Thanks, Cron
June 14th, 2011 9:16pm

Hi, Application Server is an expanded server role in the Windows Server® 2008 operating system. The new version of Application Server provides an integrated environment for deploying and running custom, server-based business applications. These applications respond to requests that arrive over the network from remote client computers or from other applications. Typically, applications that are deployed and run on Application Server take advantage of one or more of the following: Internet Information Services (IIS) (the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) server that is built into Windows Server) Microsoft® .NET Framework versions 3.0 and 2.0. (If you have applications that are built with the .NET Framework 3.5, you can download and install the .NET Framework 3.5 onto the operating system.) ASP.NET COM+ Message Queuing Web services that are built with Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) For more information, you can refer to the following article: Application Server Role http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754024(WS.10).aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2011 12:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics