Application EventViewer MMC Error
In both Windows Server 2003 w/SP2 and XP w/SP3 we are getting the following error when trying to access the Application Event Viewer: "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC." then these options are given: "Report this error to Microsoft, and then shut down MMC."; "Continue running and ignore errors with this snap-in for the rest of the session."; and "Continue running and always ignore errors with this snap-in, regardless of user or session." We do not see this error with anything but the Application Event Viewer...the System, Security and all other event viewers operate normally. Does anyone know of a fix for this. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. PG
June 30th, 2010 10:00pm

Hi, Here is what I might try, Open event viewer, click security log (or one that works), then right click the application log, select properties. Click "Clear Log", see if it will let you save it, if not, then you may need to let it go. If it is able to clear the log, try opening the application event log after that, hopefully that will fix it. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2010 1:16am

Hi, If the problem continues, please start Windows in Clean boot state to check if the problem exists in this environment: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
July 1st, 2010 9:17am

Thanks for the help but unfortunately this did not work. PG
July 2nd, 2010 12:35am

Thank you...I will try this for the XP machines but I am more concerned about our Windows 2003 machines. Can I use the same process? PG
July 2nd, 2010 12:38am

Yes, it’s OK to use the same process on Windows Server 2003. Regards, Bruce
July 5th, 2010 5:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics