Application Error: Faulty Application: OurVB6Application.exe, Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\OLEAUT32.dll
We are getting many Application Error followed by a Windows Error Reporting in the event viewer of Windows Server 2008 (Terminal Server of VB6.0 Applications) Application Error: --------------------- Faulting application name: OurVB6Application.exe, version: 1.24.0.8, time stamp: 0x4ebcf21d Faulting module name: jscript9.dll, version: 9.0.8112.16437, time stamp: 0x4e5eef88 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00001ac5 Faulting process id: 0x261c Faulting application start time: 0x01cccc758f68d41d Faulting application path: D:\OurApplicationPath\OurVB6Application.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript9.dll Report Id: d836ad79-3868-11e1-b06b-00505689005b Windows Error Reporting: ------------------------------- Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BEX Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: OurVB6Application.exe P2: 1.24.0.8 P3: 4ebcf21d P4: jscript9.dll P5: 9.0.8112.16437 P6: 4e5eef88 P7: 00001ac5 P8: c0000005 P9: 00000008 P10: Attached files: These files may be available here: C:\Users\ourUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OurVB6App_b1cc3974a01364a1d24fcd33974c63415756173b_0aac6a63 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: d836ad79-3868-11e1-b06b-00505689005b Report Status: 0 ----------------------------- This error is also observed in this windows server for EXCEL.exe, WORD.exe apart from OurVB6Application.exe. What could be the reason for such an error and how to get rid of these? Please advise. Thanks, Prashanth
January 20th, 2012 6:42am

The only two things I can say are: Exception code: 0xc0000005 means you have a security issue on your hands (0x5 = Access Denied) VB6 applications might need to be configured to run under compatibility mode The fact that it's referencing the jscript9.dll makes me think it's some kind of automation or VBA failure, but I'm afraid based on this information I can't offer any more insight than that. Given that it's a Remote Desktop Services server, you may have installed something incorrectly insofar as the change user /install command may have been missed. This might also have something to do with your access denied error. Installing most applications on a Remote Desktop (formerly known as Terminal Services) server involves: Running the following command from an elevated command prompt: change user /install Install the software Running the following command from an elevated command prompt: change user /execute You might also get more mileage on the MSDN forums than here. Cheers, Lain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 20th, 2012 6:55am

Hi Lain, Many thanks for your response. We are observing the faulty application error with faulty application modules' path as C:\Windows\syswow64\OLEAUT32.dll, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll, C:\Windows\system32\rtutils.dll, C:\Windows\system32\windowscodecs.dll, C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FunDisc.dll and sometimes as unknown on different occasions. Any comments on these faulty module path in relation to the Application error we are getting? Have you come across any article in MSDN describing faulty application error ? Thank you. Prashanth
January 20th, 2012 7:27am

Hi Prashanth, The path itself doesn't really offer great insight into the issue. For example, all the syswow64 reference is illustrating is that some 32-bit modules are dependencies loaded by the faulting module at the time of the crash. Again, this all seems to point to an issue with application compatibility. One thing I would suggest trying based on your second error is turning off Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I don't have a Server 2008 machine I can verify these steps again, but on Server 2008 R2 you can find this setting under: Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance:Settings button > Data Execution Prevention tab Select the first option: Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only Changing the setting won't require a reboot, from memory, but you might want to anyway just to be safe, as a lot of things will already be loaded and running. Cheers, Lain
January 20th, 2012 7:47am

Hi Lain/Arthur/Martin, I was wondering if you have got similar problem and the above solution worked for you. I am unable to try these settings as we are facing these issues is Production Environment. To proceed with doing any changes, I need to provide evidence that the solution does not have any side effects and the solution will really fix the issue. Is there any references for me to prove the solution proposed above? Thanks for your help. Best regards, Prashanth
January 27th, 2012 2:44am

Hi Prashanth, Yes, absolutely. I've had to do this numerous times myself where the business has bought poorly written software that followed design paradigms relating back to the NT4 and Win2000 days. If you hop onto something like Bing and search for: +dep site:support.microsoft.com You'll come back with a number of articles that will confirm this for you. Here is a small sample: You receive an error message about a DEP violation when you request an ASP.NET page for the .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows Vista A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003 How do I enable or disable DEP for Office applications? Ignore the platforms being discussed and focus on reading the explanations, as they still apply today. Keep in mind your own Eventlog message is even telling you this very thing. Taking the critical line from your first post: Event Name: BEX Cheers, Lain
January 27th, 2012 3:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics