Application Access Denied errors - Server 2008 R2 Network with mapped drives
I seem to have a strange issue on my 2008 Server environment. I have 3 physical servers. One, a member 2008 R2 64 bit server with Exchange EE 2010 recently installed and functional. One a Windows 2008 R2 DC 64 bit as well. and one at Hyper V 2008 R2 member server with several Virtual servers, including 2 virtual 2008 R2 64 bit DC Servers. Also in the virtual plane are 2 Windows 2008 R2 EE member servers for testing. I also have great little NAS box from WD with 4 TB of hard disk space that I was using as my network backup device. Here is the strange issue - hope someone can help. I can map drives, shares, between servers and copy data to and from these mapped drives and shares. I can also copy data to and from the mapped drives that the WD NAS box creates on each server and workstation. What seems very odd to me is that I can no longer use ROBOCOPY to copy files to any share or mapped drive whether it is on one of the servers or the WD NAS device. When I use the same script that I had been using forever when I had a Windows 2003 DC in the mix, it creates the FOLDERS on the share or mapped drive, but it reports "Access Denied" when it tries to copy the files and nothing gets copied. The entire folder structure is created, but no files get copied. The other similar issue is that I was using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 on my servers to backup to a "Backup to Disk" folder on the WD NAS device or to a share on another server. I purchased and installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and the application can now only see drives on the server it is installed on, it see no shares and no mapped drives. However, the Symantec product Backup Exec SYSTEM RESTORE finds all shares and allows me to take images to the WD NAS device. The backup software maybe a Symantec issue of some kind, but one would think that ROBOCOPY and XCOPY would still function. Can someone help, Thanks, Dave
June 26th, 2010 10:14pm

Hello Dave, Regarding to your description I think that the Robocopy issue is a known problem. Please point to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/2beb57b8-36ef-4364-91f3-9fd9efabc7ab You will also find a workaround provided by NPitacco. He found out that the Windows 2003 version didn’t show this permissions inheritance problem. Another similar issue and workaround you’ll find here: http://superuser.com/questions/48303/access-denied-error-with-robocopy-as-admin: Best regards, HarryThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2010 8:12am

Hi Dave, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 29th, 2010 12:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics