Application & System Crashes with Folder Redirection
Hello, I've got about 20 Windows 7 64-bit clients with folders redirecting to a share on a Windows 2008 R2 server. Appdata, Favorites, Documents, Desktop, etc. are all redirected to the share. The clients are a variety of different models (Some Sony VAIOs, the newer ones Thinkpad W510s and T510s) some of which are running the new system image I built with MDT2010, some of them are still running the factory install. All of the other clients have Symantec Endpoint Protection on them as their AV. Mine, however, has Microsoft Security Essentials. The problem I am running into is this: Seemingly randomly a file operation of some kind (I'm assuming) will cause all open applications to stop responding (spinning mouse cursor, faded window, etc). Chrome, Word, Outlook, everything will eventually crash or become unresponsive, with the end result being everything (including the shell) closes. If you open task manager by doing ctrl-alt-del and running it, it will work but if you go to the File -> Run menu it will lock up. The common thread on all of these machines is Folder Redirection - as I said, mine runs MSE instead of SEP and it still exhibits the issue. Also, it doesn't happen at the same time. One person might lock up saving an attachment from Outlook and everyone else is fine, then 2 hours later someone is opening a PowerPoint and it happens. This weekend I replaced all the 10/100 switches we were using with a single HP V1910-48g this weekend, and I was hoping in the back of my mind that in addition to upping our capacity it might fight the problem. It would have been nice if it did. Also, this is happening to both wired and wireless clients. The wireless clients are just running off some random Linksys router running DDWRT, all the wired clients are either direct into the 48 port V1910 or into a 5 port gigabit switch which then connects to the V1910. I'm at the end of my rope here - every theory I've had so far has been swatted down, so I'm hoping maybe someone here has some experience with something similar. I've had setups very similar to this at previous jobs and never had this issue. About an hour ago I finally got something useful out of one of the machines as they died. Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:33:29 PM Event Class: File System Operation: CreateFile Result: ACCESS DENIED Path: \\SERVER\CORP\profiles\username\Downloads TID: 3492 Duration: 0.0007618 Desired Access: Synchronize Disposition: Open Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert Attributes: n/a ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete AllocationSize: n/a Impersonating: COMPANY\username That is originating from svchost Then this, originating from Internet Explorer that is running under username's credentials: Date & Time: 1/24/2011 3:50:30 PM Event Class: File System Operation: CreateFile Result: ACCESS DENIED Path: C:\Users\username\AppData TID: 2620 Duration: 0.0000494 Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File, Read Attributes, Synchronize Disposition: Open Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert Attributes: n/a ShareMode: Read, Write AllocationSize: n/a I check the permissions, and the person is the owner and CREATOR OWNER has full control. SYSTEM also has full control. Any ideas? Thanks.
January 24th, 2011 5:08pm

Hi, Please provide us more information and help clarify the following questions first: 1. When did the issue begin to occur? After enabling the folder redirection policy? Have you made any changes before the issue occurred? 2. According to your description, the crash issue mostly occurs when opening or saving files, is it specific to Office files? What about operations on text file or folders? 3. Does the folder redirection feature work fine on the clients? If any error or trouble is encountered, please let us know. 4. Does the crash issue occur on all the 20 clients randomly? Does it occur frequently on some user accounts? Please confirm the share permissions and NTFS permissions on the server are correct. To help narrow down the root cause, please boot one problematic Windows 7 client into Clean Boot mode to test the results. 1. Click "Start", type "msconfig" in the Search box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. If the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". Did the issue occur in this mode? For further troubleshooting, please help gather the following files. MPSReport on one problematic Windows 7 client ----------------------------------------------------------------- The MPS report is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a system's current configuration. The data collected will assist me with problem isolation. To do this: a. Download Microsoft Product Support Reports tool from the following link, according to your system architecture. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en b. Right click on downloaded mpsreports_x86.exe or mpsreports_x64.exe, and choose Run as Administrator. c. Agree the License Agreement, and choose This Computer. d. Select General, Internet and Networking, Business Networks, Server Components, and click Next. e. After finishing collecting logs, please choose Save the result to save it to a .CAB file, and send the CAB file to the workspace. Note: Sometimes the CAB file may fail to be generated on your machine. This is usually caused by the interference from some third-party application such as certain antivirus program. If it still cannot be generated after another attempt, then please manually zip all the output files in the following folder and send the .zip file to the workspace. "%systemroot%\MPSReports\DirSvc\Logs Upload these file to the following workspace. ------------------------------------------------------------ You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=bf97b77d-825a-4b44-acdc-961032d67fcd) Password: ]txIFt6aPc Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Thanks. NinaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2011 2:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics