Any documentation on SSISDB.catalog.get_version_log_siz e?

I'm using SQL 2014, but I assume it is the same on SQL 2012.  I was trying to figure out how the Catalog Properties dialog box gets all of its information. I used Profiler and found that most of it comes from the catalog_properties view, but also catalog.operations and catalog.object_versions.

There are two fields though that are not populated by this script.  They seem to be populated by functions with the following commands:

SELECT [SSISDB].[catalog].[get_version_log_size]()
SELECT [SSISDB].[catalog].[get_operation_log_size]()

I can't find this anywhere in the help.  Are these functions documented anywhere?  I have been so frustrated with the lack of documentation and the extremely poor documentation on the SSIS catalog.  I'm finding myself tearing apart stored procedures and capturing traffic to see what things are really doing since the documentation is so frequently missing or out and out wrong.

Thank you for any help you can gi

June 29th, 2015 9:35pm

Hello Ann,

The SSISDB views, procedures and functions are documented in MSDN at Integration Services Language Reference

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 3:53am

The two that I listed above are not there, anywhere.  Also, the stored procedures and view references still don't document correctly the values that are valid to pass in to the stored procedure.
June 30th, 2015 9:15am

Hi Ann,

These two functions run bunch of Internal Schema functions. It would have been nice if Microsoft documented all these; at least for people who want to understand all internal operations happening inside SSIS Catalog, but it looks like it is not recommended to use or amend any objects which are under Internal Schema, As Microsoft may change them any time. Thats why in Books online they mentioned to use Catalog Views .Probably thats why they have documented only these.

So far these are best resources I found to understand SSIS Catalog Schema.

https://speaksql.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/ssis-erd/

http://rad.pasfu.com/index.php?/categories/7-SSIS-Catalog

Hope these links will help you !

Prathy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 9:53am

Thank you so much.  Those resources along with some other blogs I found will be very helpful so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

For anyone else looking for additional information about Logging in the Catalog, there is a nice pre-release blog by Jamie Thomson here  and a fairly nice list of what is logged at each of the 4 default logging levels can be found here by Matt Masson.

June 30th, 2015 3:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics