Antivirus for Server 2008 R2
Hello Everyone, Im searching for an antivirus solution for a Server 2008 R2 machine that will push out and update POS terminals that have no internet connectivity but are on a small interrnal network. I could use some insight as I am fairly new to the IT realm. Any help would be much appreciated.
May 16th, 2011 10:58pm

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, see my IT site for the link and use the 64-bit Vista/7 version for Server 2008R2 You can use MSE on all client machine too They do need to be on-line to get updates My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2011 11:57pm

Thanks for the reply Vegan.
May 18th, 2011 3:36pm

Im searching for an antivirus solution for a Server 2008 R2 machine that will push out and update POS terminals that have no internet connectivity but are on a small interrnal network. I think you'd better avoid "soho" level stuff (like MSE for example... and yes, I noticed it was suggested, but that's totally wrong imHo and suggesting MSE for such a task is a suicide); my suggestion is to go for an enterprise AV with central management; such a critter will allow you to monitor the status of the various clients (if they are updated, if some malware was found...) and to "push" to them, the updates and your AV settings which is usually a good idea That said, you may either go for a Microsoft solution like "forefront" http://www.microsoft.com/forefront or go for some 3rd party solution like, for example, the ones from avira.com or f-secure.com; in either case, skip the "home/personal" stuff and go for an enterprise level solution, it may cost you some more, but, believe me (or not) you WILL NEED it if you're serious about keeping things "clean"
May 18th, 2011 4:37pm

On Mon, 16 May 2011 20:57:54 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: I use Microsoft Security Essentials, see my IT site for the link and use the 64-bit Vista/7 version for Server 2008R2 Sorry but this is horrible advice. MSE is only supported on client operating systems and not server operating systems. Running an anti-virus, or any other security related solution in a production environment in a non-supported fashion is plainly and simply the wrong thing to do. You should be looking at something like Forefront for your servers. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Bit: Similar to a nibble. Commonly eight nibbles to a mouthful. See "byte."
May 18th, 2011 5:28pm

+1 ... and btw wrote the same; I really can't understand why people doesn't realize that an AV sitting in a "larger" infrastucture does NECESSARILY have some features... someone just keeps recommending or using the same AVs used for SoHo which, by the way lack a lot of stuff which is NEEDED in a more complex environment... worse, the same folks sometimes come back saying that a given AV sucks since a given BUSINESS NETWORK got totally infected blah...blah... <sigh> - I understand that people has the right to express opinions, but when someone expresses an opionion like that... Oh well, I just hope that "Jus_Ice" won't follow that advice and go for a suitable product (like Forefront or the like)
May 18th, 2011 7:16pm

MSE does automatic updates and its not intrusive so I find it suitable for deployment. Its free for licensed users so I like cost saving measures My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 18th, 2011 9:14pm

On Mon, 16 May 2011 20:57:54 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: I use Microsoft Security Essentials, see my IT site for the link and use the 64-bit Vista/7 version for Server 2008R2 Sorry but this is horrible advice. MSE is only supported on client operating systems and not server operating systems. Running an anti-virus, or any other security related solution in a production environment in a non-supported fashion is plainly and simply the wrong thing to do. You should be looking at something like Forefront for your servers. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Bit: Similar to a nibble. Commonly eight nibbles to a mouthful. See "byte." I am using MSE on my Server 2008 machine fine. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 18th, 2011 9:15pm

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:15:58 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: I am using MSE on my Server 2008 machine fine. No offense intended here but I would expect an MVP to understand the basic difference between works/doesn't work and supported/not supported. Advising someone in a forum to implement a non-supported security related configuration is quite simply a horrible idea, especially for a production environment. There's a big difference between running a non-supported environment on a home computer, regardless of whether it is a client or server OS and running a non-supported environment on corporate assets. Finally, as an MVP you may want to actually read the EULA for MSE. You're violating Section 1.c.i of the EULA: i. The software may not be used on a device running an enterprise version of a Microsoft Windows operating system. http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/eula.aspx and even worse, you're advising others to do the same. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Dump: The EPA's answer to health.
May 18th, 2011 11:05pm

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:14:58 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: Its free for licensed users so I like cost saving measures You want to actually read the EULA before you mistakenly advise others on how and where it can be used. In your other response you indicated that you're running it on Windows Server 2008 which is in direct violation of the EULA. http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/eula.aspx Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca It is ten o'clock; do you know where your processes are?
May 18th, 2011 11:07pm

MSE is fine for small shops. Larger shops need to use a commercial solution. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 18th, 2011 11:41pm

On Wed, 18 May 2011 20:41:10 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: MSE is fine for small shops. Larger shops need to use a commercial solution. What part of installing MSE on a Windows Server OS is in direct violation of the EULA are you having trouble with exactly? The size of the organization makes no difference. The language in the EULA is quite plain. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca No program done by an undergrad will work after she graduates.
May 18th, 2011 11:44pm

AFAIK the enterprise is in reference to the Windows Enterprise Ed used by volume licensees. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 18th, 2011 11:47pm

On Wed, 18 May 2011 20:47:43 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote: AFAIK the enterprise is in reference to the Windows Enterprise Ed used by volume licensees. It is not, which is one of the reasons that MSE is only supported on client operating systems. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca If it's stupid and works, then it ain't stupid!
May 18th, 2011 11:52pm

I am changing to Forefront on my server so I can see how it works for a corporate environment. This way I am better equipped for larger clients. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 19th, 2011 12:01am

On Wed, 18 May 2011 20:52:29 +0000, Paul Adare wrote: It is not, which is one of the reasons that MSE is only supported on client operating systems. And even setting aside the EULA issue, you're still counseling folks to run an unsupported environment which is still horrible advice. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
May 19th, 2011 12:01am

Seems Forefront does not like my current web server. So MSE has to stay put while I check this issue out. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 19th, 2011 12:02am

For the original question, you need an enterprise level antivirus program. It is hard to give a name but you can search and compare the famous ones and make a choice.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
May 19th, 2011 12:01pm

I am aware of 2 popular tools in use with the Fortune 500 types Symantec Corporate Antivirus (this is not he Norton package) Microsoft Forefront My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
May 19th, 2011 2:55pm

I appreciate your help. I'm researching your all suggestions Thank you for actually answering my query as well.
June 7th, 2011 5:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics