Antivirus - Hyper-V
Hello everyone,

I have Windows Server 2012R2, with Hypver-V role installed.

This server have 4 Vms (all without antivirus) and Host without antivirus.

Working with Symantec, and I wonder what the recommendation for antivirus installation on the host? the vms?

and I would have to exclude? or if it is not advisable to install antivirus?

Thank you
September 14th, 2015 4:31pm

Which antivirus and when to use it is really a business decision. Yes, I would recommend one. Symantec works. There are others. If you have purchased System Center, you have another really good antivirus there, too.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 8:38pm

1) Whether anti-virus is necessary on hyper-V host, pls. refer to Anti-Virus and Hyper-V, Yes or No?
http://blogs.technet.com/b/andrew/archive/2011/11/09/anti-virus-and-hyper-v-yes-or-no.aspx
From my recommendation, it is a good pratice on installing anti-virus on host machine.
2) besdies, the installtion, we should configure real-time scanning component within your antivirus software to exclude the following directories and files if  Virtual machines are missing, or error 0x800704C8, 0x80070037, or 0x800703E3 occurs when you try to start or create a virtual machine.
Default virtual machine configuration directory (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V)
Custom virtual machine configuration directories
Default virtual hard disk drive directory (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks)
Custom virtual hard disk drive directories
Custom replication data directories, if you are using Hyper-V Replica
Snapshot directories
Vmms.exe (Note: This file may have to be configured as a process exclusion within the antivirus software.)
Vmwp.exe (Note: This file may have to be configured as a process exclusion within the antivirus software.)
Additionally, when you use Live Migration together with Cluster Shared Volumes, exclude the CSV path "C:\Clusterstorage" and all its subdirectories.

NotesIf virtual machines are missing from the Hyper-V Management console, you must configure the antivirus exclusions, and then restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service.
If you receive error code 0x800704C8, the virtual machine configuration file was likely corrupted. If you receive this error, and you cannot resolve the issue by restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service, the virtual machine must be re-created or restored from a backup.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/961804

Roger

September 15th, 2015 2:06am