Anomalous TCP behavior from Windows Server causing abnormal ending of file transfers.
Background note: I have over 20 years experience as a protocol analyst and have supporting trace files on this issue. We are running FTP jobs from Windows 2008 R2 Standard Server to multiple computers and are running into a problem that occurs most days. The visible indication is that the FTP client will abort the file transfer. The cause of the abort is because the server is resending TCP data that had been acknowledged by the client long before the server decides to resend. Prior to the resend, the server is sending a normal sequence and the client acknowledges the packets received normally. Then, all of a sudden, this packet arrives from the server with a Sequence number that does match an earlier one -- but it's just WAY back in the sequence. The client quite normally sends the ACK for the next TCP datagram it is waiting for, but the server ignores it and keeps trying to resend the same "old" sequence of data. My question: Since this appears to be a problem with 2008's TCP stack, what is the best way for me to engage Microsoft's support to get this issue isolated and resolved. Thank you very much!
November 7th, 2011 3:55pm

Hi, Thank you for your post. I'd like suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) for this. You can speak directly with a Microsoft Support Professional to analyze the problem. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web, to find the local number: How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539 Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 9th, 2011 8:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics