Analog modem with Hyper-V 2012 guest?

I have just migrated a Windows 2003 guest VM from Virtual Server to a Windows 2012 Hyper-V host.  I had forgotten that the guest used a modem for a fax application.  I know that Hyper-V 2008 did not support a serial modem redirection to a guest OS.  Does Hyper-V 2012 support this?  Note that this is a SERIAL modem, not a USB modem.

Thanks,
Joe

July 20th, 2013 10:15am

I have just migrated a Windows 2003 guest VM from Virtual Server to a Windows 2012 Hyper-V host.  I had forgotten that the guest used a modem for a fax application.  I know that Hyper-V 2008 did not support a serial modem redirection to a guest OS.  Does Hyper-V 2012 support this?  Note that this is a SERIAL modem, not a USB modem.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi

I'm not sure because i didn't test yet . but i think you can use "SERIAL TO ETHERNET CONNECTOR"

this support in hyper-v and Windows server 2012.

as I know in Hyper-V server 2012 doesn't support Serial port .

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2013 3:23pm

You could not pass through a USB nor Serial device.

There is COM redirection, but it handles ports, not devices such as cards.

Nothing has changed in this regard:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a7b09e73-3491-405e-889e-06bb991a2b0e/com-port-redirection-physical-to-virtual

July 22nd, 2013 5:49pm

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2013 3:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics