An unrecognized HTTP response was received when attempting to crawl this item. Verify whether the item can be accessed using your browser.

I have 2 WFE behing F5 that handles ssl termination too. I have a site abc.xyz.com.

At aam i have

http://abc.xyz.com in default zone and https://abc.xyz.com in internal zone.

AT sharepoint content source; I have both http and https of the above site version.

DNS entry of abc.xyz.com is pointing at VIP in f5 which load balances this site at 2 different ips assigned to each web front end server.

Now when i run search in this content source, searchable item populates but there is error for http request telling An unrecognized HTTP response was received when attempting to crawl this item. Verify whether the item can be accessed using your browser. Why is this happening?

Is it because requests are coming to f5 as https but search is returning it as http? Will SSL termination removal from f5 solve this issue which i really don't want to do? Will pointing dns entry to two ips in wfe instead of f5 VIP will

September 27th, 2013 11:18pm

Hi,

I have seen a similar post from you, my understanding is that when you ran search in your content source, there was an error. You can take a look at the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/94e999e3-4128-4674-97dc-e46e71fe0f46/search-service-setup-behind-f5-an-unrecognized-http-response-was-received-when-attempting-to-crawl

Best Regards,

Wendy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2013 1:00pm

Have you done everything right in AAM of central admin? Please follow the following link and do as instructed . May be that will help. That helped me

.www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-guides/f5-sharepoint-2010-dg.pdf

September 30th, 2013 5:23pm

Hi all,

I ran into similar problems and tried everything - from disabling loopback check to ignoring ssl warnings, checking crawl account permissions - I even went so far as to totally delete my search service application and rebuild it from scratch... TWICE!! Nothing seemed to help.

In the end, I found out that the AutoSPInstaller that I used to install my SP farm with (after I had edited it extensively) had added some lines to my hosts file (find it in c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc\) that basically told my server that every one of my four web applications redirected to 127.0.0.1

I commented out these lines, checked the bindings of my different sites and certificates in IIS, and added the proper IP-addresses in the hosts file. Rebooted my server, and, as Sheldon would put it: Bazinga!

No errors crawling, and I also have the possibility (though not the urge) to access my web-applications directly from my front-end server.

To whomever it concerns: hope this little added info helps.

• Proposed as answer by Xmantra Monday, February 09, 2015 5:09 PM
February 6th, 2015 10:25am

Hi all,

I ran into similar problems and tried everything - from disabling loopback check to ignoring ssl warnings, checking crawl account permissions - I even went so far as to totally delete my search service application and rebuild it from scratch... TWICE!! Nothing seemed to help.

In the end, I found out that the AutoSPInstaller that I used to install my SP farm with (after I had edited it extensively) had added some lines to my hosts file (find it in c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc\) that basically told my server that every one of my four web applications redirected to 127.0.0.1

I commented out these lines, checked the bindings of my different sites and certificates in IIS, and added the proper IP-addresses in the hosts file. Rebooted my server, and, as Sheldon would put it: Bazinga!

No errors crawling, and I also have the possibility (though not the urge) to access my web-applications directly from my front-end server.

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi all,

February 6th, 2015 1:25pm

Hi all,

February 6th, 2015 1:25pm

Hi all,

What do you mean by "I commented out these lines, checked the bindings of my different sites and certificates in IIS, and added the proper IP-addresses in the hosts file " ??Can you please elaborate ?

I am having the same issue and I tried everything you mentioned. Please help

July 24th, 2015 3:25pm

Hi all,

What do you mean by "I commented out these lines, checked the bindings of my different sites and certificates in IIS, and added the proper IP-addresses in the hosts file " ??Can you please elaborate ?

I am having the same issue and I tried everything you mentioned. Please help

July 27th, 2015 3:40pm

Hi Vinod,

I hope this reaches you in time - been on vacation, so sorry for the late reply.

Navigate to "c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc\" and right-click the 'hosts' file;

select 'edit'

put a # before the lines that read '127.0.0.1 [url of your web application]' - leave the file open

open IIS, select your server, and expand 'sites'

select the site (webapplication) for which the url in the hosts file was set to 127.0.0.1 by single clicking is

in the 'Actions' pane (right hand side of the page), under 'Edit Site' click 'Bindings'

from the dialog box, note down the IP address

Go back to the 'Hosts' file, that you left open, and simply enter the ip address followed by a tab (for readability) and the url of your web application, at the end of the file

Repeat this for any other web applications

save and close the 'hosts' file.

I don't remember if restarting IIS was enough, or whether I had to reboot the server - either way, this did the trick for me.

Goodluck!

August 18th, 2015 7:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics