An error while configuring Windows Server Essentials

Hi,

I have a weird issue when trying to install Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2. After installation and first reboot a window pops-up to configuring Server Essentials 2012 R2. I fill the domain name, server name, and the admin account then Server Essentials 2012 R2 start to configure. The progress bar goes to 1% and the shows the following message: " An error occurred while configuring Windows Server Essentials. Please try again". So I try again and i'll get the same error message. I checked c:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.txt but I can't find any error messages. Please some assistants...

April 4th, 2014 3:20pm

Hi MvL1972,

Based on your description, I understand that you have added the Windows Server Essentials Experience role. However, when configure Post-Deployment Configuration wizard, you cant complete successfully with error. If anything I misunderstand, please dont hesitate to let me know.

Please check if your environment has the "Log on as a Service" Group Policy setting configured. If has configured, please add DOMAIN\ServerAdmin$ account to the "Log on as a Service" Group Policy setting. (In GPME, please follow the path: Computer Configuration-> Policies-> Windows Settings-> Security Settings-> Local Policies-> User Rights Assignment-> Log on as a service). Then check if can help you solve this issue.

For more details, please refer to the following KB.

The Post-Deployment Configuration task may fail after you install the Windows Server Essentials Experience role on Windows Server 2012 R2

If you cant add the account in Log on as a service setting, please remove the Windows Server Essentials Experience role completely, then re-add the role and execute post-deployment configuration wizard. And monitor the result.

For more details, please refer to following FAQ document.

[Forum FAQ] Introduction and FAQ for the Windows Server Essentials Experience role

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2014 8:11am

Hello

did someone find out the kind of this problem?

I still got this Error on a VM (Essential Setup) and the Solution above did not help.

Thx

ALF

September 1st, 2014 8:07am

I am having the same issue. I have setup the ServerAdmin$ user as mentioned above and my Wse Service IS running...

This is very frustrating as no one else has posted anything additional to resolve this issue.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Wayne

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2014 4:30pm

I had to take these additional steps to get this to work

After above procedure, you need to give Login permissions to the Windows Server Essentials Management Service.

- Go to Server Manager Dashboard
- Tools, Services
- Find the Windows Server Essentials Management Service, Doubleclick for properties
- Go to the Log On tab and click browse, Advanced, Find Now
- select ServerAdmin account, click OK
- Clear the Password and Confirm Password fields and click OK again
 re-run Configure Windows Server Essentials.

July 18th, 2015 6:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics