An error 1069 - )The service did not start due to logon failure) occurred while performing this service operation ...

Hi All,

We seem to be being plagued by the error below by our SQL Server agent. This happens almost everytime we restart the server that has been running for a day or two.

Our SQL Server Agent uses a none expiring domain credential. I understand that this problem only happens when the profile being used by the SQL Servr Agent has changed (password change). What puzzles me is that the login is A ok and no changes has been made to it's password.

Wealways resolve this problem by changing the login used in the SQL Server Agent to local and after that, returning it back to it's original domain login. Unfortunately, we cant always do this everytime something goes wrong.

Can anyone please help us shed a light on this? We're using SQL2k with SP3a. Thanks!

Error:

An error 1069 - )The service did not start due to logon failure) occurred while performing this service operation on the SQLServerAgent service.

Regards,

Joseph

October 10th, 2007 8:53am

Assuming there are no external factors like event log messages indicatingproblems connecting to the domain controller then it sounds like there's an issue with that domain account.

I can only suggest thatyou try deleting and recreating that account in AD, if you have not tried this already.

I'd also recommend you apply SP4, but that does not have anything to do with this issue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 10th, 2007 9:53am

I was getting the same error since I had changed the password. I found a work around for it to connect to SQL server.

Go to Run-->services.msc--> MSSQLSERVER . On the "log on as" tab right click and check your login information. i suggest delete the password and retype it again. It works !!

• Proposed as answer by Kelvinay Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Marked as answer by Joseph Ollero Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:42 AM
January 11th, 2008 9:03pm

We already have an SP4 installed. As for the AD account, other services in the same server also uses the same account as SQL Server does and we dont encounter any problems with them. The strange part is that this does not happen very often. Once or thrice a week, mostly random occurances based on what we have experience. Any thoughts?
January 22nd, 2008 12:35pm

We are having the same type of problem.

For some reason, when rebooting a SQL server, the service will not start. When trying to start by hand, we will get the service did not start due to logon failure message.

Resetting it to the same password, gives the "logon as a service has been granted" message. Then the service will start up correctly. The account is a domain user account and it only used for the SQL service (on this machine and a few others). The problem seems to happen on at least 2 different SQL machines. The password has not been changed lately. This almost seems like when setting the password on the service, it is not being saved properly and when it is rebooted, it is using some other password that may have been cached.

Not sure what is going on, but it is very strange.

Thanks,

chips

January 29th, 2008 8:50pm

Hmmm, just a thought. SQL Server 2000 will be stopping it's support this year. Does that mean if theres a problem with this, we will not be able to resolve this issue anymore?

February 12th, 2008 1:55pm

Ran into this error, and the password was correct. What the System Event Log said:

Code SnippetEvent Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7041
Date: 10/8/2008
Time: 9:33:09 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ComputerName
Description:
The SQLSERVERAGENT service was unable to log on as DomainName\SQLAgent with the currently configured password due to the following error:
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Service: SQLSERVERAGENT
Domain and account: DomainName\SQLAgent

This service account does not have the necessary user right "Log on as a service."

User Action

Assign "Log on as a service" to the service account on this computer. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.

If you have already assigned this user right to the service account, and the user right appears to be removed, a Group Policy object associated with this node might be removing the right. Check with your domain administrator to find out if this is happening.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

...sure enough it had been removed from the "Logon as a service" list. Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Rashid Amin Monday, July 16, 2012 6:23 PM
October 8th, 2008 1:58pm

I have the same error but its related to a brand new installed sql server 2000 SP4 but instead of SQLSERVERAGENT is  SQLSERVER.

Any ideas ?

Sorry about my poor English.

March 26th, 2011 3:22pm

Thanks Anidutta..your post helped me..:)
April 7th, 2011 7:13am

Thanks Anidutta..your post helped me too!!!!!
April 28th, 2011 8:04pm

Solved it for me.  Thanks.
July 14th, 2011 5:58pm

Thanks very much!! this resolved my problem. I too had changed  my password. and the error with connecting to SQL occured  a few days later. I was unable to connect to it. thanks again!
August 31st, 2011 5:19pm

Thanks anidutta, it help me a lot and now work perfectly.

September 8th, 2011 8:27am

IT Works :)
October 17th, 2011 11:00am

I think Rock explains this well here.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/hu-HU/sharepointsearch/thread/53908719-8eb5-4610-ba6f-332f951a115f

This fixed my issue.

• Edited by John Guilbert Monday, December 12, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Proposed as answer by John Guilbert Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Marked as answer by Joseph Ollero Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:43 AM
December 1st, 2011 11:26am

Thanks anidutta, it works in sql 2008 too.
February 1st, 2012 8:03pm

think you !!
  • Edited by cana01 Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:07 PM
March 4th, 2012 7:07pm

Hello

hi anidutta

my probelm get solved  this suggestion realy help who face the same problem.

thanking you

April 28th, 2012 11:33am

This fixed my issue. There was an explicit "Logon as service" GPO assigned to a certain group. I added Domain Admins to that group.
July 16th, 2012 6:24pm

@anidutta massive thanks, it really worked, thank you a lot.
  • Edited by ambiguousTK Monday, August 05, 2013 11:40 AM forgot mention
August 5th, 2013 11:38am

Thanks. It really works. Thank you so much.
November 12th, 2013 1:20am

its works thankyou very much
March 2nd, 2014 6:48am

Works Great!

Thanks

April 20th, 2014 11:01pm

Solved. Thank you.
October 6th, 2014 9:35am

Check your Log in information by clicking Logon tab

November 20th, 2014 7:31pm

Thank you, a real lifesaver, and works perfectly.
  • Edited by mrbelljp 20 hours 55 minutes ago
May 3rd, 2015 6:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics