An attempt to resolve the DNS name of the domain controller in the domain has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain
Here is the screenshot of the client: Screenshot of DC/DNS:
June 18th, 2012 6:54pm

On the DC you should have 10.10.20.6 as primary and 127.0.0.1 as secondary. Also if this is the only dc it may take 5 minutes or so for DNS to start up. From cmd.exe on dns server run dcdiag /test:dns /f:C:\results.txt and check results Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2012 7:28pm

I have updated the primary for the DC/DNS to 10.10.20.6 and secondary to 127.0.0.1 I ran dcdiag /test:dns
June 18th, 2012 7:42pm

What is result? Can you join domain? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 18th, 2012 7:45pm

I am trying to join a Windows 7 Pro system to my domain and I am getting the error: I am running a Hyper-V Windows 2008 R2 DC with AD, DNS, and DHCP. When I ping the DC via netbios name I get a reply. If I tried to ping the DC via FQDN I can't ping it. If I try to ping the domain I can't ping it...please see below: C:\Users\djgook>ping zeus Pinging ZEUS [10.10.20.6] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 10.10.20.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 10.10.20.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 10.10.20.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 10.10.20.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Ping statistics for 10.10.20.6: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms C:\Users\djgook>ping zeus.tranceaddict.us Ping request could not find host zeus.tranceaddict.us. Please check the name and try again. C:\Users\djgook>ping tranceaddict.us Ping request could not find host tranceaddict.us. Please check the name and try again. C:\Users\djgook>nslookup DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Default Server: UnKnown Address: 10.10.20.6 > tranceaddict.us Server: UnKnown Address: 10.10.20.6 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Request to UnKnown timed-out > I've also gone int the IPV4 of the Windows 7 Pro system and change the prefer DNS to the IP of the DC/DNS but still getting the error. I'm guessing it's a DNS error but not sure where else to go. I am able to join other Windows 2008 server to the domain without any issues.
June 18th, 2012 7:55pm

No, I am still getting the same error. What's weird is that if I statically assign the IP of the DC/DNS (10.10.20.6) as the preferred DNS on the client then network icon on the lower right of the client has a yellow exclamation mark on it and the client can only ping by IP. For example it can't ping google.com but can ping google by IP. If I set it to obtain DNS automatically then the exclamation disappears and the client can ping both domain & IP. But either way I am still getting the same error when trying to join the client to the domain. Now just to explain a little further the DHCP role is installed on the physical server (2008 R2). The DC/DNS is installed on a Hyper V on the physical server. The phsyical server has two NICs. One used by the physical server and the 2nd is used by the Hyper-v VM.
June 18th, 2012 8:02pm

Make sure local DNS server has own address as primary and 127.0.0.1 as secondary (assuming only one DNS server) in network connection properties and is not multi-homed. Also put public DNS addresses as forwarders only on local DNS server. Client should have local DNS address only so client can find and logon to domain. Forwarders are so clients can find and resolve internet queries. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 18th, 2012 8:07pm

We never did see the error. You might run through these. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816585(WS.10).aspx Also might ask them here about vnetwork setup. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 18th, 2012 8:10pm

Here is the error I'm getting whether I set DNS to automatically obtain or statically on the client:
June 18th, 2012 8:15pm

I'd run through these. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816585(WS.10).aspx Also might ask them here about vnetwork setup. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads You might try this util to see what's going on. http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 18th, 2012 8:29pm

Hi, From the output, the primary DNS suffix of DC is int.tranceaddict.us which means the FQDN of the DC is zeus.int.tranceaddict.us. Please try to join the domain int.tranceaddict.us. Under the domain, input int.tranceaddict.us or int, to see if the issue still persists. Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
June 19th, 2012 1:14am

Hello, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS server and the client with problems, so we can verfiy some settings.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2012 4:07am

Hello, according to the screenshot you try to join the machine to "ta"? The domain name is shown with "int.tranceaddict.us" and the client has suffix get via DHCP from "tranceaddict.us"? Please elaborate the used names here.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2012 4:30am

Hi, What about Reverse lookup Zone ? you have to create a reverse lookup zone in dns server then only IP to Name translation will happen.otherwise u cannot add any client to domain.
June 19th, 2012 6:48am

In the end I think it was a network issue. As the DC/DNS VM server was not able to ping the host server and the default gateway. The network icon on the lower right had an exclamation mark on it. I deleted the external virtual network adapter in Hyper-V on the host server and readded it but same thing. The VM server was still not able to talk to the host server and default gateway. In the end I just deleted the VM server from Hyper-V manager and reinstalled it. I reinstalled the external virtual network adapter in Hyper-V manager. Readded the DC/DNS roles to the new virtual server and the exclamation next to the network icon disappear. After this, i wa able to join my Windows 7 client to the domain.
June 20th, 2012 11:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics