Am I using SCOM 2012 correctly?

SCOM 2012 SP1

Hello.  I am new to SCOM and have been learning it on my own through testing and searching the internet to answer questions about functionality.  I am in the process of setting up alerting for different application and team groups.  I would like for someone who is a SCOM veteran to tell me if I am doing this right and if not, what the best way to do it is.

My Process....

1.  Create group for my computers

2.  To have monitors target my group and create alerts, I override the monitor and choose my group and save it in the same MP as my group.  

3.  I then create a view based on my group.  Then I will give specific users read-only permissions to the view so they can check new alerts and alert history. 

Two questions....

1.  Is there any issue with my process?

2.  I just read that it is better to save overrides in there own mp.  Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help\direction you can pr

January 3rd, 2014 7:36pm

Seems like you are on the right path, there are several good blogs about authoring mp's etc.  Are you using the ops console to do all of this, Visual studio, or the old Authoring console?

It is a good idea to save overrides in a separate MP, but if you are working with something that was created in an unsealed MP, then the overrides will be stored for that object in the same unsealed MP, unsealed mp's cannot reference another unsealed MP.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 3rd, 2014 9:50pm

Thanks for your reply Blake.  I am using Operations Console.  Is it ok to have everything created in unsealed management packs?  What is the best reason to seal them? 

Thanks for your help!

January 9th, 2014 5:04pm

It is ok, but you can run into issues later on.  The best reason to seal them is to ensure no one can make changes to them while they are in your environment (changes as in direct changes, not add overrides).  In our production environment we try to limit the number of unsealed MP's, but we have several ourselves.  Sometimes they have to exists, especially if you create an override that has the enforced option enabled.  Those overrides cannot be stored in sealed mps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 9th, 2014 7:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics