Always on AGListener

Hi, i am planning to set up AlwaysOn with 20 databases, Automatic failover(synchronous) in my current environment, SQL server 2014,windows server std 2012 configure WSFC on 2 nodes  , 

Node1   Node2  ( both Enterprise sql server editions), both servers located in 2 different locations 

In the event of any failures below listed  i want to failover from Node1 to Node2.

1.Operating System goes down
2.SQL Server Instance goes offline/Shutdown
3.Disk Failures
4.Network goes down 
5.Cpu, motherboard goes bad
6.database goes offilne.

My questions:

1.where do i have to keep AGListner? node 3 ? and if yes node3 (for safety)--what are other options?

2.do i have to use SQL enterprise edition or will SQL express edition works?

3.what about operating server ? and Node3 should also configure WSFC?

4.I am also planning to use node3(SQL express) as  distributor  because i have replication from node1 to different server., do distributor works on Express edition ?

3. all my Fail over listed above(1-6) works with always on ?

please give some tips

September 10th, 2015 12:20pm

1. AGListener is Window Cluster Resource, you don't need 3rd node at all, AGListener would fail over with your AG group in case of failures you described in scenario 1-6.

2.If you are planning to use 3rd node you would need ENT ( for instance second replica), Express wont work but you don't need that at all for your configuration

3. Yes it would if you are going to use 3rd node to house any replicas.

4. No, You can not use SQL Express as a distributor, it could only be used as a Subscriber.

5. Yep :)

HTH

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 9:45pm

AGListner is part of Availability Group. Listner will have its own ip address. you do not need another server just running listner.

Express edition replication considerations.

September 11th, 2015 1:11am

1. AGListener is Window Cluster Resource, you don't need 3rd node at all, AGListener would fail over with your AG group in case of failures you described in scenario 1-6.

2.If you are planning to use 3rd node you would need ENT ( for instance second replica), Express wont work but you don't need that at all for your configuration

3. Yes it would if you are going to use 3rd node to house any replicas.

4. No, You can not use SQL Express as a distributor, it could only be used as a Subscriber.

5. Yep :)

HTH

September 11th, 2015 1:43am

Thank you SQLGru
September 11th, 2015 10:39am

Thank you Kumar
September 11th, 2015 10:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics