Allowing IUSR... Account read/exec permissions on cmd.exe in Windows 2003
Hi folks, I'm playing around with trying to run some bat files or commands (like IPConfig) from CMD.exe using ASP pages. I successfully did this on my Windows 2000 "Play Ground" server. I had to grant the IUSR... READ&EXEC pernissions on the CMD.EXE file in Windows/System32 to get it to work. Now, I want to replicate this on our Intranet server, a Windows 2003 server box. When I try to add the IUSR... account to CMD.exe in the System32 directory I get this VERY scary warming message that seems to imply that I'm going to be changing permissions on "system folders", the exact message is something like this: "You are about to change the permission settings on systems folders, which could result in unexpected access problems and reduced security. Do you want to continue?". I clicked "no" and now here I am asking what it all means and what are the issues. Windows 2000 Server did not give me a prompt like that. Thanks...RDK
June 20th, 2012 12:37pm

Hi, Please refer the following link: Best practices for permissions and user rights http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779601(v=ws.10).aspx If you want to grant the IUSR permission, please click Yes. Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2012 4:04am

Thanks for the reply. I'll reply OK next time. However, I'm still curious about the warning message "You are about to change the permission settings on systems folders, which could result in unexpected access problems and reduced security. Do you want to continue?". Which seems to imply that these changes will also be affecting folder security. Comments?....RDK
June 27th, 2012 10:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics