Allowing Anonymous logon to access a file share on Server 2008 R2
Hi there, I have a shared folder on a file server that holds a bunch of images - I want all boardroom pc's running Windows 7 in my company to connect to the share anonymously so that the images can be used as a screensaver/slideshow. This work's if I log on as a domain user, but I don't want to log on as a domain user to each boardroom computer. I've edited the local security policy on the file server and enabled "Network Access: Let Everyone Permissions apply to anonymous users" I've also configured "Network Access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously" and configured the \\servername\sharename$ This is still not working, any thoughts?
September 29th, 2011 2:55pm

Hi Reena111, Thanks for posting here. Please try to grant necessary NTFS and Sharing permissions to “Everyone” group on this folder and modify the registry entry in the article below : Everyone group does not include anonymous security identifier http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278259 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2011 2:10am

Hi Tiger Li, I have granted the "everyone" group permissions on the share and ntfs permissions. I've also checked the registry entry referenced in the article and the value is set to 1...so it is enabled. I ran gpupdate on the file server to make sure the local security policy settings applied, but still when I try to access the share with a non-domain user account, I get prompted to enter a password to connect to the fileserver... Any other thoughts? Thanks!
September 30th, 2011 11:50am

Hi Tiger Li, Thanks for the suggestions. Turning on the policy setting "Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares" didn't make a difference, I still get prompted to enter a password. As for using the guest account, I don't want to enable the guest account on our primary file server for security reasons... Cheers!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 3rd, 2011 5:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics