Allow Helpdesk ability to restart printer spooler
Hello, I've changed permissions on a server to allow our helpdesk to restart the spooler service. I can see on the server that the permissions have taken effect by using RSoP. The problem is that when a user tries to connect to the server by using computer management, as soon as they click on services they get "Access Denied". What additional steps will I need to perform to enable users to connect to the services part of computer management? the connection to the computer works when using computer management but its only the services part which is an issue.
June 14th, 2012 1:40pm

Hiya, Are they logging on to the server or running script against the server? for example: sc \\<server name> stop Spooler sc \\<server name> start Spooler What O/S version is the server?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 1:53pm

Does it have to be via the GUI, because if you could script it you could give the helpdesk an icon that allows them to restart the spooler service. There are a number of options available that could do the job: PSExec to run a net stop, net startwmic to invoke stopservice and startserviceVBscript or PowerShell to stop and start via WMIPowerShell remoting to restart serviceJaap Brasser http://www.jaapbrasser.com
June 14th, 2012 1:57pm

Rick Tan's reply is correct (up vote). If you want a more scalable and easier way to delegate rights to services (scheduled tasks, processes and more too), check out System Frontier. I built it to fill this gap of not being able to easy delegate administrative rights to non-admin users. It's easy to setup and configure using role based access control.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2013 11:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics