All folders set to read only, and cannot change -- how to deal?
Like countless users before me, I noticed that all the folders on my Windows 2008 server system are set to read only according to the properties dialog in Windows Explorer, and the checkbox is greyed out. I can uncheck it and close the properties dialog with no error message, but after quitting the dialog and looking at properties again, read only is checked again. In general, this seems to have no effect on behavior of the system. I can create, edit, and save files. The only problem is -- trying to import email messages from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail. I get the dreaded "no messages can be found in this folder" error (which seems to also have afflicted probably millions of users). Yes, the messages are there, and so is the "Folders.dbx" file. In researching that issue, I noticed that some MSFT experts had said Live Mial is finicky about the read-only setting, and won't import if it's set. So maybe the unchangeable read-only setting on all my folders is stopping the import. Any advice on how to escape this trap?
January 4th, 2011 10:44am

Are you part of the local administrator's account on the server?- thestriver
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2011 11:52am

I routinely log in as Administrator, which is a member of the administrators group. (This is my development and test machine, not a production server in any way, so the setup is simple.)
January 4th, 2011 12:10pm

Try to take ownership of folders and then provide full control to yourself and check the checkbox that says propagate same permissions to subfolders and files How did this happen first?- thestriver
January 4th, 2011 1:37pm

Note that this odd feature of folders being set by default to read only, and the setting being sticky, seems to be a standard feature of Windows servers going all the way back to 2000 at least. The 2003 Server machine that I am trying to retire is the same way. It's been questioned many times over the years, though I have not seen a clear explanation or rationale. I made myself owner of the folders and files and it makes no difference. I am not even sure the read-only thing is the problem that prevents me from importing messages to Live Mail. With Microsoft, sometimes even common things just don't work and no one knows why. But it's the best theory I have right now.
January 4th, 2011 2:04pm

Hello CBHCMC, I doubt the Read-Only attribute on the folder has anything to do with your issue. See this article, however http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
January 4th, 2011 4:18pm

Thanks for the lead. I tried following the instructions in that article, but alas they don't work. If I go to a command prompt and type: attrib -r d:\stuff\email and hit return, I get a new line with no complaint (e.g. that the file was not found or whatever). But then checking the folder, the read-only attribute is not changed.
January 4th, 2011 11:10pm

Hi, Could you try performing " dir d:\stuff\ /A:DR " and check if directory “ email ” would be displayed? If not , I believe this may not cause of this issue Meanwhile,You will get more help by posting that issue in the Windows Live Mail forum: http://www.windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 5th, 2011 2:26am

I checked with the dir command, and it finds the folder is not read-only, even though it is marked as such in Windows Explorer properties. dir d:\stuff\ /A:D-R shows my email folder. Further experiments elsewhere on the drive indicate that the dir command has a different view of what is read only vs. Windows Explorer. To the dir command, only a few directories are, while in WE everything is. Looks like a dead end anyhow. Lots of people had the same problem with message import in Windows 7 and Vista, and perhaps there is no solution.
January 5th, 2011 7:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics